My dual purpose chick house/breeding shed

SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
Can be split internally into two, just need to finish fencing... what do you think? The doors can be opened and closed by pulling the rope attached to the tops of the doors and will be tied off on a fence post. Roof is hinged at the back so the whole thing can be lifted up for cleaning. 5 foot by 3 foot base.

56402_p1000111.jpg

The idea is to slip a sheet of plastic infront of the door/s and just use a spade to shovel the bedding right out onto the ground, lift it up and dispose. One quick go. Will not be putting anything other than a vertical seperator inside, so no lips or boxes. Removable roosting bars (as I want to use as a broody shed too and won't tempt them with roosting poles at night) in each side.

Am putting fencing up tomorrow, Will be 6 foot high. I shall be breeding bantams next year too and want to do guineas or quail the year after so will need to top the coop with wire. Also crows are a big problem for me so want to make sure they can't get in at the chicks.

You could always shoot the crows and then it would provide protein for the chickens. Yes, they can be eaten by chickens. No, it isn't cannibalism. Although, If you like, you can shoot the crow, and then hang it on the fence and then the larvae will fall into the pen and the chickens will eat that. (Think mealworms)

We live next door to a water resevoir so mink are a problem here, and also foxes. Plus some free ranging dogs. Won't be hangig dnner from any fences, but I have heard that it can be effective. My b-i-l does it next door, but can hang them pretty high up.

I have to bury the fence six inches minimum and top it with netting as I had my big girls' run open at the top and would regularly find 30 or so crows in there. So now, it's covered and I have peace of mind.

Better get offline and get on with the job at hand!!!

Back
Top Bottom