My duck and goose are mating???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NeverEnough, Oct 7, 2007.

1. NeverEnough

NeverEnough New Egg

Oct 6, 2007
    Colorado
    Hello everyone, I'm new here. I thought this might be a good place to learn more about all my feathers friends. I have a white male goose and a white female duck. Predators killed the others off when they were young so these 2 are only ones left. (Besides the chickens/guineas). He mounts and breeds with her often. They are best buds and go everywhere together. He protects her, hisses anytime anyone goes near, guards her as she lays in the grass, etc. They have selected a nesting spot and she has laid 5 eggs thus far. My question is, if she begins to set them or if I incubate them, will these hatch?
    How long do duck/goose eggs take to hatch? thanks everyone.

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I dont think you would get anything because of the difference in species. But I could be wrong I never dealt with anything like this.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicken and guinea can cross but I don't think duck and goose can. If you can find the number of chromosomes in a duck and in a goose, and they are different, the answer will be no. Else, maybe someone has an answer.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    No, they won't hatch. Gather the eggs and make a cake!

5. NeverEnough

NeverEnough New Egg

Oct 6, 2007
    Colorado
    I wonder,,,,,,a donkey and a horse have different # chromosomes (I think) and come up w/ a mule, I was thinking maybe could be the same w/ the duck and goose. Probably not or we would have heard of it before now, huh? So, does anyone out there know the # of chromosomes in each type? thanks [​IMG]

6. NeverEnough

NeverEnough New Egg

Oct 6, 2007
    Colorado
    Oh,,,,ok. I guess cake it will be [​IMG] It was a cool thought anyway. We were trying to figure out what we would call them.... a 'guck' or a 'doose'.

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm such a weirdo I'd incubate a few just to see if they hatch!!! [​IMG]

8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Has anyone really had a chicken & a Guinea cross???
    Doesn't seem likely to me since they are completely different species. I would like to see one.

Horses & donkeys are both equine, different amount of chromosones but still same species. That is why the offsring is sterile.

We had a lone Guinea rooster free ranging with hens for 2 years & never had a Guniea/chicken cross.
    He is fertile...we bought some Guinea hens for him & we have hatched a bunch of keets.

Jean

9. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
  10. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Well, I learned something new today!!!
    I will have to show that to DH, since we have discussed this before.

Thanks for the info
    Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by