My duck broke his wing! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LindseyM12, Feb 7, 2011.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi guys, today I let the ducks in with the geese... They used to be fine together but this time it didn't go well... My poor duck broke his wing! PLEASE HELP! I have no clue what to do! [​IMG] The bottom part of his wing is dragging onto the ground and when he tries to move it back up, the top part come's up and the bottom part doesn't move. Its really wiggly... HELP! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry about your duck, I wish I could offer some help, but at least I can bump it for you.

My only advice would be to take the duck to the vet, if it's doable.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It may not be as bad as you think...Often when faced with an injured pet we can all panic a bit. It may just be muscle or tendon damage. Have you picked him up to examine him at all- or just watched this wing as he is walking around. He may need it to be strapped up- and a vet would be the best to do this as they will know how to do it so that if the bone is broken- it will be aligned and able to mend.

He may be in pain- and could go into shock. Can you sepperate him from the flock without him getting too stressed?

4. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I cant take him to the vet, it costs WAY to much. And I don't think that we have a vet that will take ducks. I haven't looked closely at his wing cause I'm scared that I'll hurt him. I can try to separate him but I don't think he will like it... [​IMG]

5. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just went to check on him and i moved his wing around and it sounded like it was popping and cracking.... [​IMG] Sounds broken to me....

6. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    A broken wing needs to be set correctly. Just wrapping it up wont do. You can use popsicles to immobilize it at the broken section, but again it needs to be done right or the wing will heal up wrong. Duck bones will start to mend within days so don't let him just run around with the wing hanging down. I understand the cost of a vet. Can you find a bird rescue center and ask them if they help you. Offer volunteer time. Very often they will be sympathetic and do it. You can call your local animal control and ask them for the nearest center near you. If everything breaks contact me and I give you instructions on how to wrap it correctly. It wont be easy and you will need a helper doing so.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Lindsey, contact Carolina Water fowl rescue, they maybe be able to help you if you live anywhere close to Charlotte.

8. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well, I called the vet just to see how much it would be, and just to go to go in his office and talk is $45! [​IMG] So now I got to figure out how to wrap it... Help anyone?

9. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I'm no vet, but.... try to get his wing back to the same shape as the good one. Be CAREFUL.

Take another duck with a good wing and feel how it expands and contracts, then try it on your boy.

Use gauze or some non-sticky wrap and wrap the wing close to his body but not too tight to restrict breathing, etc. Then take the adhesive bandage stuff (sticky type) and secure the cloth wrap. Try not to get it stuck to his feathers.

While he is mending keep him away from a lot of water so he doesn't get it wet and falls off. But give him plenty to drink. Give it a few days or so and take the wrap off and see how it feels. It may be a bit stiff so again, be careful. Also make sure he isn't harassed by other ducks and especially the geese! Good luck.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Lindsey? did you contact Carolina Waterfowl Rescue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by