1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Duck Brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zookeeper15133, Apr 10, 2012.

1. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I made this out of recycled shipping crates for my week old ducks.

My box is 2' x 4'. The 2x2's are ripped 2x4s
    I used:
    4' of 1/2" hardware cloth
    Ceiling fan light fixture, 3 bulb
    Extension cord
    wire nuts
    screws
    Reflective bubble wrap insulation (I got mine at Lowes)
    Large concrete mixing pan ($12.99 at Home Depot)
    Produce box about 18 x 24 x 4" I think tomatoes came in it. Free, disposable and easily replacable!

The wood was free from shipping crates at my daughters work, so I had to make it fit what I wanted. It had to be wide enough for the 2' wire and the 2' box,
    [​IMG]

I put the T in to hang the light from and staple the insulation to.

[​IMG]

I stapled the insulation to the sides.

[​IMG]

Screwed in and wired the light, I used an extension cord with the end cut off.

[​IMG]
    Stapled another piece of bubble wrap to the front and top of the T. This piece also covers the top. It is only stapled to the cross piece to give me access to the inside of the box.

Put the box in. To hold it over the tub, I just piled bricks high enough and put a couple of 2x4s across them for the box to sit on. I ended up using duck tape to hold the door open, (No pun intended) This way if you get a cold night, just put it down. Adjust your heat by changing the wattage of your light bulbs. I stapled the bottom of the insulation to the box, but that didn't last long, I think when I change it I will put another cross piece down there.
    [​IMG]

I also put cross pieces under where their 'pool' is so the wire wasn't supporting all the weight.

I put a roof on it because it is out on the deck, but I don't have pics of that. They have been in there over a week now and I haven't had to clean duck mess yet, but I think I will tomorrow before the tub gets so full I can't move it! I took their pool out and put a waterer in, then I put the waterer in their pool. They still go through about 4 gallons a day!

It's not pretty, but it was very cheap and it serves its purpose!

2. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    Two big thumbs up!!!!!! I just love a creative mind!

3. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    I know I've already said this to the creative person who came up with this brooder, but I'll say it again: This is he best duck brooder I've ever seen. I'm going to make one before I set my next clutch of duck eggs [​IMG]

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Looks nice, I would let the, have an open water source though. It might be small, but they are smart enough to not stay in that super fun water and become overly chilled. Better to be safe than sorry. Now when you are with them put it in for playtime. Milk jugs with the round indention cut out so only their heads can go in for the water works well.

5. zookeeper15133

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Thanks for the milk jug idea. I just emptied one, I will go make it!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have a pic of one Celtic, I just looked at a milk jug and having a hard time figuring it out. Thanks

7. dennin7418

dennin7418 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Sterling, MA
    That will last for another week then it will be too small. I just had to expand my brooder for my 3 week old ducklings because they were running out of room and trashing the place with their water. Just keep that on the back of you mind so that you have a plan to expand when the time comes...

8. zookeeper15133

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    But by then they will be big enough to go out side in a grow out pen!

9. zookeeper15133

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Here's pics of mine. I don't think all milk jugs have it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank you, that round piece, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by