1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sharonkj, Jun 4, 2015.

1. sharonkj

sharonkj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2015
    [​IMG]

I just finished the build for my duck coop. It is 8' x 4'. I used 3 full sheets of plywood. One on top, one on bottom, and the other cut in half and used on each side. The boards for the front and back are old fence. There are support joist under the coop made out of 2x4 and the roof supports are 4x4. There are 3 in the back and 4 in the front. What do y'all think?

2. SLAP STICK487

SLAP STICK487 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Liberty Ms.
    I like it.... to me its very creative---with little or no cost/////cool. But what are your plans for predators?

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Very creative good work :)

4. sharonkj

Jun 4, 2015
    Thank you. The best part is all I had to purchase was the harware

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  5. sharonkj

Jun 4, 2015
    The door will come up and lock into place. And the holes in the front and back will have wire mesh once they are outside full time. It is a large flock, 18 ducks total, so I'm hoping that's enough when they are out. If not I have some bird netting to go over the whole run.

6. SLAP STICK487

Jun 3, 2015
    Liberty Ms.
    Thats neat, the wire mesh works good as well. I was asking because where I'm located we have very large raccoons and possums as well as bobcats and cougars and black bears.......and they rip things up pretty easily. I had wire mesh and the coyotes made quick work of that

7. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not sure if that will be large enough for 18 full grown ducks. Do you plan on expanding?

8. SLAP STICK487

Jun 3, 2015
    Liberty Ms.
    In my case I would have no choice, I have a few people wanting duck for the holiday and I was thinking of giving a Lil to the church

9. SLAP STICK487

Jun 3, 2015
    Liberty Ms.
    Bit all together I have mallards and I want to get some pekin . I hired my Lil nephew and well I don't wanna take anychances with anything half secured.......how they grew up they now nothing of the sort....so they don't think of it as an important

10. sharonkj

Jun 4, 2015
    As I watch them grow I'm thinking I'm going to have to expand. Since it only took me a day to build I'm going to wait until they get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by