My Duck Disappeared

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcardella, Nov 15, 2009.

1. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    We were outside working in the garden, and the ducks were swimming in the pond. I saw them get out, but did not pay much attention, as we were measuring some fencing. About 10 minutes later, they came up to the patio like they always do to preen, and I did an automatic head count. One of my Khaki Campbell girls was missing. We have searched everywhere, but she is nowhere to be found. I suspect she went into the bushes, and was grabbed by a juvenile raccoon that has been hanging around for a couple of weeks. This was in broad daylight with us outside! There was no noise, and the other ducks did not act alarmed. The chickens and guineas were also outside roaming around. I cannot find any feathers either. We don't have any open areas around our house, and are surrounded by woods and palmettos (Florida) that are very thick. Not really a place a duck could wander too far.

I would she would have made some noise if a hawk got her, and I think we would have seen one that close. I am puzzled and upset. [​IMG]

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    So sorry to hear that!

We live in Central Fl. on 36 acres, and it's mostly brush. When we let our flock out to roam and swim, I always keep an eye on them because I am afraid they will get brave and wonder off. No one has done that yet, as they stay in their little buddy groups. but you never know! Around here we have Owls, Rattlesnakes, Hawks, Crows, Coons, and even Coyotes.

Hope she comes back to you safe and soon!

3. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    I keep hoping, since I found no evidence that she was taken, but I fear the worst. They usually stay pretty close together, and within sight of the house. I just cannot believe this happened while we were within sight of them! [​IMG]

We have raccoon, foxes, bobcats, and hawks, but other than the hawks, we generally don't have a problem during the day. Now I will have to consider building a run, and keep them locked up until we figure it out

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Maybe a snapping turtle got it? [​IMG]

5. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    I only have a small pond/pool that we built for them, and there are no large bodies of water around.

6. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    My Khaki Campbell flew off once last winter and I couldn't find him. Scary cuz there was deep snow at the time and he sinks like a rock in it. What I did was take my big Pekin outside. This distressed him enough that he began to quack loudly and it called in the missing one. Good luck. I hope she comes home soon.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  7. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Thanks everyone - I sure hope you are right and she comes home soon. I will let you know.

8. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    [​IMG]

That is strange. Maybe she flew somewhere. She'll turn up keepyour hopes up.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  9. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hoping for the best!

10. hammerhead

hammerhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You didn't say how old the duck was. I had one full grown Pekin duck attacked by a hawk and everybody put up a fuss. I went out to the pond and the hawk left. She had holes in her neck but recovered. I've had female ducks end up missing due to laying eggs. As hard as I searched for them, the only one I ever found was the Pekin (white) and this was several months after the hawk attack. She hatched out 11 Pekin/Mallard mixed. I walked two feet from one other duck maybe a hundred times and never saw where she was until the eggs hatched. If they want to hide, they can be hard to find. That's another good reason to keep an eye on them. Finally, if I find the eggs, I never leave them out due to the opossums, raccoons and skunks. Skunks more than the other two since they will kill the ducks and chickens. Please let us know when it shows up.

Hammerhead

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by