My Duck eggs are shrink wrapped - Please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quackerfactory, Jun 19, 2011.

1. quackerfactory

quackerfactory Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    They externally pipped yesterday afternoon but haven't made too much progress. The one that did have a tiny hole I can see the membrane is shrinkwrapped on him. I'm using a homemade incubator so I knew humidity might be an issue. Please help with anything I can do.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Spritz them with water. If they are started out you may could help them and lightly mist the membrane to get it to realeas from them.

3. quackerfactory

Jun 19, 2011
    I just put moist paper towels over the two who haven't broken through all the way yet and I peeled back some of the shell on the one who had until it got to the point where the membrane is still attached some. I moistened the membrane with a q tip and put a warm wet paper towel around him as well but he still seems kind of stuck. My friend is bringing over a spray bottle to use. How often should I spritz them?

4. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Cant actually answer that. Just until you can get the membrane loose.Your humidity needs rising for sure .If you have a couple sponges wet them and place in there also. That will help but most the damage is done. Best thing is to try and get the membrane damp enough so it peels off very easily. Hope this helps save them [​IMG]

5. quackerfactory

Jun 19, 2011
    One is almost all the way out, he is kind of lethargic though and his eyes are closed. This is my first hatching, is this normal?

6. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Its not normal but they could just be tired from trying to get loose which is most likely the answer. Hope some make it for you. At least now you know to watch your humidity with ducks.

7. quackerfactory

Jun 19, 2011
    There is a small yolk still attached to him. Will he make it or does this mean he is out too early? I can post a photo if that would help

8. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Could be a bit early but may still be OK. I get them hatched with them sometimes on actual self hatching ducklings.

9. quackerfactory

Jun 19, 2011
    I'm feeding him some sugar water and he is drinking it okay when I use a dropper. Thank you so much for helping me. Sorry to be such a newb, I was not expecting duck eggs when I was given them so I have kind of had to wing it, pun intended.

10. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Your doing fine and no problem with ?s. Its always better to ask than to think you did something wrong. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by