1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck got attacked by a dog

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welsh Ducky, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    I think my duck got attacked by a dog, he came home (he is free range) and was limping badly and blood was coming from his chest/belly. How do I help him? It has been a day but I have not done anything thing and I don't want infections. What do I do?? :hit
    His brother was with him when it happend but was not ingered, and he would not leave his brother wounded. He protected him for the rest of the day so I couldn't get a close look.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Poor duck. Bring him in and put him in a warm bath to clean those wounds. Besides that, I would wait for a more experienced person to answer. Maybe dab some neosporin (without pain relief ingredient, I have read) on the wounds too.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Shock and infection is always a concern...First you do need to catch him and actually see how bad his wounds really are..
    Clean him up and keep him warm. Try to get him to drink and eat..
    Contact a Vet...

Good luck

4. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    It's a really small wound, no blood any more, and no feathers got ripped out he was just bleeding from his chest but he was in our neighbors yard and they have a dog so we thought it was a dog but the wound was so small, was it possible he fell on a peace of glass? because there is glass around and he does trip a lot. And it has been two days he is just limping a little. I tried to look at the wound I even flipped him over on his back so I could look but there doesn't seem to be anything there. Thanks though! :highfive: btw the ducks name is Blueberry. :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The dog is probably your culprit...Sounds like a tooth hole...Your Duck got very lucky....

Glad to hear he is going to be fine...
    Cute name....

Cheers!

6. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    thanks, Chickens-really! :hugs

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Keep an eye on the little one, check under the wings and around the vent, also, sometimes we miss injuries (not easy when they are skittery and hard to handle). A little saline solution or Vetericyn rinse can help avoid infection - if the wound is tiny, not a bit worry but if it's large enough, flies may lay eggs in the wound. Since we don't have a photo, we cannot say how likely that might be - just keep an eye out.

8. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    Thanks! I flipped my duck over on his back to look at his belly/chest, I twisted him around I looked all over the place there doesn't seem to be any more wounds.
    And the one wound he had is practically gone now he isn't limping anymore and you can't see the wound any morse either. Thanks for the Help! :woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by