My Duck got injured and hates me now?

Tracey88

Hatching
Jan 22, 2018
So i have a wild new zealand paradise selduck i found as a tiny duckling hes always been so friendly hates being picked him etc but really lovely duck. 3 days ago he got a string from the chicken feeder trapped around his neck and he couldn't get it off and we didn't know he even had it on him until he flew off and we saw it as around his neck when went searching for him and we couldn't find him anywhere.
our landlord found the bucket 4 hours later and took it off from around the duck neck and came and told us we went to get the duck and he was gone we looked for him over night and couldn't find him the next day we finally found him and brought him home he has injury around his neck he can't make sounds and one of this wings is sore. but now he wants nothing to do with me he won't let me near him hes terrified his now inside being kept warm and happy but i took him outside for some grass etc today and he tried to run away from the house and us witch is his home :( he hides from me and he just wants nothing to do with us its heartbreaking.

How old is he? Could be he's maturing, sometimes they turn more feral if they are of wild descendants. Otherwise he's in pain and fearful of being caught again. He should calm down after a few days, but sometimes they don't forget being handled so easily.

I don't think he hates you, as I don't believe ducks can think like that. It's probably all instinct that is causing his fear.

Keep him quiet and warm till his injuries heal. Pain can make them act odd too. Instead of wanting to hold him [except when treating his injury] just sit quietly with him talking softly. Hopefully he'll once again trust you. If he has a special treat he likes try offering it to him that can win them over too.

Back
Top Bottom