1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck had baby chickens.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SonyaCele, Jan 8, 2015.

1. SonyaCele

SonyaCele New Egg

Sep 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

About three weeks ago , my son went to collect the eggs and came in with a basket full of eggs complaining that the plymouth rock was on them and wouldn't get up. And i said ooooh no, go put them back! So he did. The next day i asked him to see if she was still sitting, and he came back and said the duck is sitting on them now.

So here is what i have so far, four total. Now i just have to make sure she doesn't take them swimming. I hope a couple ducks hatch, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is Dad, he's a bantee, the moms are normal chickens., so i assume the babies will be mutant banteechickenducks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Omg, that is adorable! And what a beautiful duck (what breed is she?)! Can't wait to see the rest of the hatchlings! :)

3. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    So sweet! keep us updated, how will you stop them going swimming?

4. SonyaCele

SonyaCele New Egg

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know what kind of duck she is, a dumb ex boyfriend thought i lived in a home for wayward animals so he brought her and her mate home one day and didn't take them when he left. This is her mate, taking a bath this morning. I think they are mixed breeds.

I'll have to keep the chicks out of the water until i can supervise their first and only traumatic swim. I think they have to jump in one time to realize they aren't ducks. We had some chicks we raised with baby ducks do this last year, it was actually pretty funny. And then the baby ducks tried to roost with the chicks. I shouldn't laugh, but they did figure it all out over time.

[​IMG]

5. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    That's beautiful, good luck with the swimming lessons!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by