My duck had watery yellow poop...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brook K, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Brook K

Brook K Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    Texas
    My duck started setting on her eggs today. I went out to feed her and put her mate up when I noticed she pretty much poured watery yellow poo all over her mates feet. I hosed it off and wondered what that was all about... Does anyone know why she did that? Is that normal? This is my first time and I don't know a lot. Any info would be great! Thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have had a soft egg break inside the oviduct. Keep an eye on her. You might consider a vet looking over her.

Sometimes these things are one-time not serious. Sometimes it indicates a more serious problem, so watching and checking are important. If there is any sign of infection she'll need antibiotics.

3. Brook K

Jul 8, 2015
    Texas
    OK thank you. I'll be sure to watch her closely.

4. Fergusbeakley

Fergusbeakley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    This is a bit of a yucky question but what did it smell like?

5. Brook K

Jul 8, 2015
    Texas
    I wasn't that close to it to smell it. I'm thinking it was her letting go of her eggs. She's started sitting on her nest a couple of days ago. She's not letting the male mate with her anymore. I'm not sure how all that works because this is my first set of ducks and there first time nesting. I've been taking her eggs and incubating them myself. I had two hatch and two die. One of my babies has wry neck. I'm not feeling to great about my incubation. I tried chicks my first time and one made it out of 6. They start to pipe then nothing happens. Its like the shells to hard... I keep the temp. Around 99.5 to 100 and the humidity between 55 to 60. I live in south Texas. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have 6 more duck eggs going into lock down on Sunday. I'm scared to have another failure. My momma duck seems to be doing great. She comes off her nest to eat drink and have her bath then she's right back to her nest..

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Does your incubator have a fan (forced air) or no fan (still air)?

-Kathy

7. Brook K

Jul 8, 2015
    Texas
    No fan still air

8. Brook K

Jul 8, 2015
    Texas
    I have two 9300 still air incubators. One had an egg turner. I use it for the incubation process. I have chicken and duck eggs in that one and there's two different duck batches I started 2 weeks apart. Everything runs smoothly in that incubator. I don't have any problems losing babies until I place them in the 2nd incubator. I place that one on 100.2 temp and 60 humidity. There both new incubators. I tested them to make sure the temp is reading right and followed the instructions. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I told my husband I don't want to do this anymore because I haven't had much success. He told me ur learning and not to give up. It just breaks my heart when I lose one. I love my little ducks. They bring me so much joy. I'm really close to my Drake. He's been through so much the poor guy. He was attacked by a dog and I thought he was going to die. I took him and my goose who was also attacked to the vet and they both made it. Then a few months later something came into my yard and took 5 of my ducks! Aflac was the only one left and he was injured bad. He pulled through it again so he means the world to my family. We got him a wife and he's been so gentle and loving to her. All I'd like is a few more little Aflac's to enjoy the pond my husband made for them. But I keep failing. :(

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think your problem might be that your temp is too low. Still air incubators are usually run at 102 degrees.

-Kathy

10. Brook K

Jul 8, 2015
    Texas
    OK Thank you so much! I'll try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by