my duck has a big chest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pikachu, Nov 13, 2016.

1. pikachu

pikachu New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    hello everyone, my names Ruth. i recently bought two ducklings (4 -weeks old) and I've notice one of the ducks has a bigger chest. my dad said its cause shes over eating. should i worry?? what can i do for her?

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, Ruth, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Can you post a picture of her? Is her large chest more on the right side? I'm guessing she is probably just a higher duck in the pecking order and therefor eats more than the rest. If you feel the lump, does it feel like it has little bits of food in it? I hope you enjoy BYC! :cd

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! That lump would probably be her crop, where their food is broken down (birds don't have stomachs) [​IMG]

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well. I guess I never actually said crop in my post. I just called it the lump. :lol: I should go to sleep and come back when I've got all duck terms straight.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you can get your dad to read the comments here, so he knows she isn't too fat. Usually the crop goes down over night, so she may look slimmer then.

6. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you feeding her? I know adult ducks at parks and such get fed too much bread and their crop gets big, maybe it is like that for ducklings

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thank you for joining us, hope you are enjoying your ducks!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Hope your duck is okay! [​IMG]

10. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Welcome!
    Try wetting the feed so it "preswelled", it might help. The ducklings love it that way too. I wouldn't worry to much though
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by