My duck has a limp (and a couple other questions)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quirkybeeper, Jul 24, 2011.

1. quirkybeeper

quirkybeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Guilford County, NC
    I'm a new duck mommy, I just got 2 Pekins on June 18; they were hatched on May 28. Anyway, one of them has developed a limp over the past few days, and I'm not sure what to do or if I should be overly concerned. She (I'm pretty sure it's a she anyway!) won't put much weight on it and is a bit wobbly, and will put out her wings for balance. She lays down most of the time in her pen and only gets up to get to the food. She can put weight on it and kick with it, nothing feels broken, and she swims fine, so I have no idea what to do.

I feel bad, they're still in a pool in the living room, we'd intended to get them moved outside into a bigger enclosure sooner, but we're doing that this weekend. I just worry that I'm at fault for not giving them enough space (I have 2, pretty sure a male and a female). Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Another thing is I can't find consistent answers about what to feed them as far as protein goes. Our farm supply store only carries chicken food, so that's what they're getting (it is unmedicated). I've seen places that say to give starter mash until 6 weeks old, 10 weeks, a year... so I don't know what I should be feeding them!

And the dumb question of the day...what do I do with the eggs once she/they start laying? I don't think we're going to sell them, but I've never had chickens or ducks or anything, so I have no experience with eggs!

Thanks for any advice, I tried to do as much research as I could before I got them, I'm just paranoid I'm going to do something wrong, I want to make sure they're healthy and happy!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    eggs - eat them like you would chicken eggs. They are great in baked goods.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Ducks need more niacin than chickens do or they can develop leg problems. Get some brewer's yeast and sprinkle some over their food once or twice a week like you were salting your food.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Congratulations and welcome!

At that age, it could be niacin deficiency from chicken feed, or it could possibly be bumblefoot or injury.

Have you looked at the bottom of her foot? Mine sometimes begin to limp if they have a bumble (it's like a big pimple or boil). That can be dealt with usually, if caught early, by spreading triple antibiotic ointment on the foot ( top and bottom is what I do).

If it's not a bumble, it may be niacin deficiency, and Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommend putting 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water till they're about 10 weeks old to correct problems.

From what I have read, ducks react differently to niacin deficiency. Some suffer, some don't seem to show symptoms.

5. quirkybeeper

quirkybeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Guilford County, NC
    Where can I get the niacin to put in the water? Just brewer's yeast or is there some other supplement I can give?

Also, what kinds of vegetables and greens should I give them? I know mine like carrots, I'm just looking for more that I can feed them.

Do I give them access to their food all the time or just feed a certain amount like at meal times? And is it possible to give them too much vegetables?

Haha sorry for so many questions! Thanks for all the help so far!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I give my ducks Romaine lettuce, chopped up, but mostly in the winter because they free range and eat alot of different things, but they do love Romaine lettuce. I had to buy the Brewers yeast I got at the Health food store.
    I think they should have acsess to feed all daylight hours and 24/7 if still in brooder.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I got my granulated brewers yeast at the health food store. I just sprinkle some on their food a couple of times a week.

MIne have access to food and water 24/7

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am told that brewer`s yeast or niacin tablets (100 mg to 150 mg per gallon of water) should work. There is at least one topic on this Duck Forum about the kind of niacin pills NOT to get.

There is a stickie about treats - I find that very helpful.

I agree that in the brooder (up to about eight weeks of age), food and water 24/7. They're growing so fast - need all the inputs they can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by