My duck has an open wound on her toe.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duck593, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Duck593

Duck593 New Egg

Jul 23, 2016
    Hello
    I have a 2 year old Muscovy duck called Dot. On her small toe, on the back of her ankle seems to be injured. On her toes there is a yellow pussy look ball but but it also looks like an open wound. I have attached a photo of both the toes.

[​IMG]

I have read other posts about the same sort of thing but I am just wondering if that is the best thing to do. She seems to be eating and drinking fine. This has happened a while ago but it had seemed to hell over by its self. The main problem is the she keeps on pecking it.

Is there anything I can do to help?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks like both are injured. Is there something she is walking on where her feet can slip between boards or bricks or something? Take a look around - sometimes there is something in the environment that is causing trouble. And it's so hard to predict what is going to be a problem!

Anyway, I would keep a tube of triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever in my pocket and several times a day smear some on the toe - you don't have to be neat about it - and make sure to do it before bedtime.

That has worked with halux injuries in my flock. Just watch carefully - any sign of swelling or heat could mean an infection is trying to set in, and then you may need oral antibiotics. Most of the time, these things stay localized and go away with steady topical treatment. You could also try a drop of clear iodine on the toe once before bedtime each night - I reckon that would sting a bit the first time or two, but might be another way to treat it.

3. Duck593

Duck593 New Egg

Jul 23, 2016
    do you know were i could get some triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief and does it need to be something just for birds or will triple antibiotic ointment for people be ok to use? would the vet shops have any or do i need to go to the chemist to get some?

i have had a look around but i could not find much in my backyard that could hurt her, but they are free range so she could of flown away and done something in someone else's yard.

one last question..
    how do i apply the triple antibiotic ointment?
    thankyou

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use the same stuff I use on myself. Just find it at the chemist. Waterfowl can have negative reactions to painkillers, so that's why the ointment without pain reliever is recommended.

And if you can't find triple antibiotic, a regular antibiotic should work fine. Around here we have Neosporin and Bacitracin and their generic equivalents.

I put a dab on my finger, pick the duck up and smear it around the injured area.

5. Duck593

Duck593 New Egg

Jul 23, 2016
    We only have betadine antiseptic liquid spray. Will this be ok to use?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes[​IMG]

7. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww!poor ducky, I really don't have any advice but I hope she gets better soon.

8. Chilly Lizard

Chilly Lizard Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    Backyard Farm in the NW
    Thank you! This forum is a life saver because of people like you sharing[​IMG]

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Also stand her in some warm salt water.........10 minutes twice a day before you apply the ointment.......Salt heals........Do not let her drink it though and keep her bedding clean and dry......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by