1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Duck Has been Eaten! :( TELL ME WHAT DID THIS! ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SeasideDuckMan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. SeasideDuckMan

SeasideDuckMan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Yesterday morning I awoke to a terrible discovery. My duck "Dolly" had been taken from her doghouse (which was locked) and was nowhere to be seen. The door to the doghouse was litterally bent and something squeezed in and took her. There were only 2 SMALL clumps of feathers left at the scene of the crime. Today, my neighbors called me and told me that they found her body next door om the opposite side of the fence. When i came to get her body to bury it, i was amazed to see just how much of her was eaten. in fact, there was NOTHING LEFT! Just skin and bones! In our area we have possums and raccoons. We also have cats but i know that a cat would never be able to open the doghouse the way it did. The strange thing is that there were no feathers anywhere! All feathers must have been eaten! i want to know what the hell ate her so i can trap the **** thing and drown it! I usually am not like this, but this duck had truly become part of the family, and i have had many bad experiences with both raccoons and possums and this is the last straw! i dont care if its illegal!

[​IMG]
    THIS IS WHAT HER BODY LOOKED LIKE. SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT ATE HER!

2. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    It sounds like a raccoon. When they got my last hens, they literally left legs and heads. Blech.

1 person likes this.
  3. kaeKY

kaeKY Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2012
    Wow, it bent open a locked door! Was the door loose? It must be terrible to find such a gruesome sight. Sorry for your loss.

4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    My first thought was cat because they are the ones who typically eat everything but you're right they couldn't have bent the door open like that unless it was a BIG cat. Probably a raccoon. Sorry. Our ducks are like family too.

5. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    Set a live trap near the duck house. The varmit will be back. Probably a coon. Possibly more than one so use the trap even after you catch the predator.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry! How terrible. [​IMG] My vote would be raccoon. They are very strong and determined. Hope you catch him. And i agree to keep setting the trap as there may be more than one.

7. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    So sorry for your loss! I agree set more than one trap at a time, they tend to go out in groups. You might catch all of them if you can set like three at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by