My Duck has Frostbite??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovemyducks, Feb 4, 2013.

1. lovemyducks

lovemyducks New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Winkler,MB
    Question! Any help would be great. I keep my ducks in the backyard where they have a large insulated house filled with hay and shavings. Also keep a large tub of water (plugged in so the water does not freeze). Well I recently bought a seven month old female rouen (Freckles) and put her out with my other three ducks(who are three and four years old). From the minute I put her in with the rest she was a brute. Determined to have whatever she wanted and didnt let them push her around. Ive had her for about two months now. We started to notice her sitting outside their house. I guess the intiation process is not over yet and the others are still picking on her. I didnt think much of it until today when I took them their food. She was at the door to greet me as usual but I noticed
    the skin between her toes was black. I picked her up and the bottom of her feet were black. Her toes are orange and dont look abnormal but everywhere else is black. She walks normal and there is no unusual behavior. Does my baby have frostbite?? Could it be something else? I brought her inside filled her kennel with shavings and am monitorring her closely. If it is frostbite does anyone have any suggestions?? Will she be okay? will her feet be orange again??? Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated. Just hope my lil girl is okay.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Could you possibly get pictures of the bottom of her feet? Was it all completely black or just the majority of it?

3. lovemyducks

lovemyducks New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Winkler,MB
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. lovemyducks

lovemyducks New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Winkler,MB
    Majority of it. Just noticeably different.

5. lovemyducks

lovemyducks New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Winkler,MB
    [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does there appear to be any swelling or scabbing at all?. It does not look like frost bite to me

7. lovemyducks

lovemyducks New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Winkler,MB
    There is no swelling. As for scabbing, please bear with me, I'm a first time duck owner. The bottom of her foot feels like a giant scab where the top feels soft and smooth. That may be normal tho and I'm just not educated enough on the animal :/. It stands out to me and strikes my concern since my other three have bright orange feet.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by