My Duck has infection inside head that comes out her eyes and sometimes has abcess I sometimes drain

CrystalLuvsHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2015
Texas
My Duck has infection inside head that comes out her eyes and sometimes has abcess I sometimes drain via syringe.

Well this is my sweetheart Ping-A-Ling. He/she (dont know how to tell). She is so sweet, she loves to give kisses and cuddling with me in bed.
She has an aweful infection that I cant get rid of. She is around another duckling, chick and hens for months and nobody has "caught" anything.
I bought Ping from the feed store because she was blind and beaten up by the other baby ducks. She was normal for the first month then my cat bit her in the face. The list of antibiotics I have used for the past 4 months (Duramycin-10, Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment Contains Oxtetracycline and Polymyxin B, Clavamox, Dust On and Silver Sulfadiazine 1% cream.
I wash her face with saline solution and sometimes her cheek is full of a thick, stinky brown puss that I suck out with a syringe. I have gotten up to 5ml at one time but its been a while. Both eyes ooze puss but only one side of her face was bit by the cat and has the issues. As you can see that black dot by her bill is actually a hollow whole that goes all the way to her bill. Seems to be healing but is brown and just doesnt look right. The middle picture shows how she positions her neck. Its never straight and she constantly circles but as I wrote earlier she is blind. She is fiesty, great eater and drinker, fat and sassy. She has been outside, but last night I brought her in hoping it may help whatever it is heal. AHHHH! So frustrated. No duck doctors near me. I called around, the vets see mostly cats and dogs and sometimes exotics. I live in a big city, not a boom of duck doctors.
Can somebody give me ideas, I love this duck and she is such a well tempered angel. This pain is all she has known her whole life and she deserves better. Please help her, thank you!

I am no vet and I am a new duck owner.

That being said if it were my duck I would try rinsing/flushing it with Veterycin and do my best to find an avian vet.

Good luck.

Have you used oral antibiotics or just topical?

I would try to get a vet to see her, even if they are not expert, so that I could get perhaps something like Baytril.

I would also make sure she has a head washer - so she can rinse her head alot, every day, and I would put either apple cider vinegar - one teaspoon per quart of water - or even think about putting several drops of colloidal silver in the water.

You might call a wildlife rehabilitator and ask them what they do to treat birds with cat bites.

Keep her inside - safe! Keep her safe! Make sure she has fresh drinking water and good quality food 24/7.

Thank you for suggestions. I'm trying antibiotics in water. I think a good thing happened to Ping tonight. The "black spot" near her bill tonight looked especially nasty. So I pulled out the dead tissue with clean tweezers. 5-7 ml poured out of her face also because her cheek split open. I saw on the internet that I need to pack the wound. So I packed it with a Q Tip soaked in antibiotic cream. It's still draining around it. I gave her pain meds of course. But I think it's a step forward. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. But she's inside, clean, draining and she acts like she feels better. Has anyone seen this on any animals? Thank you!

With bumblefoot, after soaking the foot and applying clear iodine and waiting several days, one can often soak the foot again and pull the scab that forms and chunks of pus come out with it.

I hope no one who is eating decides to read this thread.

Please keep us posted.

Went to the farm store where I bought Ping. Thank heavens there is a great lady there with tons of ideas. I bought Penicillin to inject as well as a tube to insert directly in the hole in Ping face.

This is yesterday and it broke my heart but at least the puss was escaping Pings face.

This is after I cleaned Pings face of the blood and puss.

This is Ping after I put a Q Tip in the hole in her face with medication on it.

This is my beautiful Ping asleep after her Tramadol took affect, lol. Such a good, sweet baby. Tonight after work her face was nasty again but I just bought the Penicillin. The lady at the feed store said that her face will be like the bumble foot you were talking about. Cottage cheese. Nothing will gross me out, Im a CNA and have seen a lot. Im also caring for one of my chickens that was tore apart by my dog but Sandie (Brahma) is healing great on her neck and back. It was very intense.

Poor Ping. She is lucky to have such a womderful, caring owner. Cat bites are probably the worst as far as bacteria. Cat mouths are really "dirty" and as you have found out most cat bites become infected. You are doing a great job. Continue to keep it very clean by flushing it out if you can. I know sterile flushes would be ideal but probably not an option. I would also keep doing the antibiotic oint inside and I think you said you are giving her penicillin. Hopefully penicilin covers the particular bacteria involved. As you know, you want it to remain open to drain. She will be very uncomfortable if the pus accumulates. Ideally it will heal from the inside out and then close completely not leaving any pocket. So continue what you're doing by cleaning, meds and pain med. please keep us posted so others can learn what works. This site is great for learning and getting advice. Best of luck with your Ping.

Ping is doing much better. I had tried everything could think of and asked a lady if she could suggest anything. She asked if I was willing to go crazy since nothing else worked. I said yes. I have been giving penicillin made for cows in pings thigh for weeks. 1cc at night. Ping is a huge Peking duck and putting penicillin into the hole in her face. I have given her no treatments for a week. Tonight I pulled out a rubbery mass and under that was a perfect, healthy wound. I filled it with the penicillin and ping fell asleep. Got pics, I'm not a vet, don't do crazy unless you choose.

I haven't had to use syringes to get puss out of her face. And ping loves to play in her pool. I will get a pic of her playing tomorrow and a pic of the meds I injected in pings thigh.
Thank you everyone for your support.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom