My duck has one hurt leg and can't walk at all.

Justy0

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2014
My Black Swedish drake named Bear is literally flopping around because his leg wont hold him when he walks. Oddly he seems to be able to stand okay most of the time (minus the occasional loss of balance). I've read a lot of other postS about hurt legs and broken legs but I don't know if this is really the same. If he really wants to move I have watched him slither/scoot himself a few inches but I'm worried he is making it worse so I have let him float in the water all day (which he loves anyway) and just put him in my room in a little tub with blakets. This is night two and I have given him some liquid bird vitamins (that include niacin) and extra mealworms plus his regular poultry feed. Even as he sits in here though, I'm worried his foot is getting worse. I don't have extra money for a vetrightnow, andthere arenone that take farm animals near

Is there anything else I should be doing or does someone have a guess at whats wrong?

My Black Swedish drake named Bear is literally flopping around because his leg wont hold him when he walks. Oddly he seems to be able to stand okay most of the time (minus the occasional loss of balance). I've read a lot of other postS about hurt legs and broken legs but I don't know if this is really the same. If he really wants to move I have watched him slither/scoot himself a few inches but I'm worried he is making it worse so I have let him float in the water all day (which he loves anyway) and just put him in my room in a little tub with blakets. This is night two and I have given him some liquid bird vitamins (that include niacin) and extra mealworms plus his regular poultry feed. Even as he sits in here though, I'm worried his foot is getting worse. I don't have extra money for a vetrightnow, andthere arenone that take farm animals near

Is there anything else I should be doing or does someone have a guess at whats wrong?
How old is he/ and have you examined the leg and foot all over for swelling, redness, heat? open wounds? anything going on on the bottom of his foot checked for a splinter or infection there? you are doing the right thing by limiting is movements and doing physical therapy in the pool, I don't think I'd leave him in there all day though, just maybe 2-3 times a day for around 30 mins.each time. you can also use Epsom salt water compresses if you can pin point an injury, give us more info after you have examined.

I've checked him over several times and it doesn't appear to have anything wrong. However he seems a lot better tonight and can very slowly walk on level ground. So if he continues to progress, hopefully tonightwill be his last night inside. :)

Last edited:
Ok, now he seems to be having trouble breathing. He is panting like a dog and its not at all warm in here, and I don't see anything in his nostrils. He also looks to be shaking a little.

He hasn't had breathing troubles anymore but his leg hasn't gotten any better. i put him back with his girls though and am continuing to keep him, in the water for most of the day. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom