My duck has plucked all of her chest feathers

Mary-Ellen

Chirping
May 30, 2021
I introduced 2 female ducks to my 2 young drakes and one young duck. My young duck really hassles the new duck, Florence. Florence is getting food, but often does not get her share of treats. The other ducks have not harmed her but she does get excluded from the group sometimes. Florence now has no feathers on her chest. The others are molting too but I have not seen them lose so many feathers at once. Do ducks over preen when they are stressed or is this typical molting?

Can you post photos?
1627262138881_20210725_181401.jpg

I don't think she's broody. I haven't seen any eggs and she's not displaying any behavior that I have read about. I see a bunch of pin feathers (I think that's what they're called) on her butt but none on her chest yet. I'm glad to hear it doesn't look too bad to you!

Have you inspected her for any parasites?
When my ducks molt, the pin feathers don't come all at once. So, sometimes there are bald spots. But, on your duck are the missing feathers totally gone or are they broken? If totally gone, not broody, no pests, and you see some pin feathers; then, I'm thinking molting.

I will check her for pests. Feathers are gone, but no sign of skin irritation or redness. Other ducks are fine. The other duck who joined ours molted and completely changed color. She looked terrible for a while but not bald. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom