My duck has prolapsed his penis!!

Been to the vet, she said wait until the protruding bit dries up then she will snip it off, anyone had experience of this??
No I haven't but if I was you I'd keep some triple antibiotic on the part protruding just keep keep infection out of it. Many here have had a problem with drakes mating too much and having this happen so far It hasn't happened here, Thank goodness. Also giving him some bath time will help keep it clean too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure it does if there's been significant damage. Too bad about that, especially when it happens to drakes used for breeding programs.

Never had to worry about that until last fall . . . .
hmm.png

A duck's penis is on average about 8 inches long! Bubble is about to lose just under 1 inch. It will heal but won't re-grow.
He is to have chemical castration so he won't be sexually active any more anyway. It's true, this condition would be devastating for breeding ducks.
My poor baby has no idea what is about to happen to him
sad.png

Hmm. Chemical castration is medication that, at least in dogs, is injected in the testes. I don't know how you'd do that in a duck as the testes are internal.

Is he having actual surgery? I don't know how a vet would reach the testes otherwise.

This is a fairly common problem and surgery is not normally necessary. Maybe if there is severe infection.

Back
Top Bottom