My duck has prolapsed his penis!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rabbitzki, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Been to the vet, she said wait until the protruding bit dries up then she will snip it off, anyone had experience of this??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No I haven't but if I was you I'd keep some triple antibiotic on the part protruding just keep keep infection out of it. Many here have had a problem with drakes mating too much and having this happen so far It hasn't happened here, Thank goodness. Also giving him some bath time will help keep it clean too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Thanks Miss Lydia. Vet is going to do a chemical castration as well to stop his games, poor him. I hope I don't lose him :-(

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He should do fine as long as you keep it clean and infection free till she does the procedure. Let us know how he does.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If you have females, he needs to be seperated from them for at least 3 months.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Wont the Duck's penis grow back?

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'm not sure it does if there's been significant damage. Too bad about that, especially when it happens to drakes used for breeding programs.

Never had to worry about that until last fall . . . .[​IMG]

8. A duck's penis is on average about 8 inches long! Bubble is about to lose just under 1 inch. It will heal but won't re-grow.
    He is to have chemical castration so he won't be sexually active any more anyway. It's true, this condition would be devastating for breeding ducks.
    My poor baby has no idea what is about to happen to him [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    never heard of this before chemical castration

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Hmm. Chemical castration is medication that, at least in dogs, is injected in the testes. I don't know how you'd do that in a duck as the testes are internal.

Is he having actual surgery? I don't know how a vet would reach the testes otherwise.

This is a fairly common problem and surgery is not normally necessary. Maybe if there is severe infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by