My duck hates my sister

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamSimone, Oct 19, 2015.

1. SamSimone

SamSimone Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Hi Guys!

I have got an Indian Runner duck for over a year now.
    A few months ago he had hit puberty really really bad and was't very nice for a few months, but lately he's been the sweetest duck ever.

He used to hate guys, he would attack them and undo their shoe laces, but he doesn't do anything like that anymore, he is really social and sweet to everyone (except for my sister).

He loves to cuddle and walks with me everywhere I go.

He plays with my dogs and is really happy, the only big problem is the way he treats my sister.

My sister and I really look like each other, we are both blondes and the same height.
    But somehow he notices who comes outside immediately, if it's me he wants to cuddle or he'll just leave me alone, if it's my sister he will start screaming, he will make himself bigger and he attacks her.

He will bite her ankles and even take off her shoes, he keeps yelling and sometimes he bites her until she bleeds.

Does anyone have an explanation why he would do this?

She wears different shoes, different colors of clothes and different perfume every day, so I don't think thats it.

Something really needs to happen because my sister can't go into our own backyard without being attacked.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please respond :)

Love,

Sam[​IMG]

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    That is really strange. I have no idea why that might be.

3. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Hi Sweetie! I know that duck! [​IMG]

I think he might be viewing her as a rival for your attention. We already know he loves you a lot, and he may view her as a rival duck, and he needs to fight for his property (you). She needs to show him she isn't afraid. I am sure it is really scary for her when he does this. In turn - she probably screams, shows fear, turns and runs? By doing that, she is proving to him that when he is nasty, she will back down and he wins. I don't know if the typical drake domination will work here, because he isn't a typical drake. Have you tried to have her mount him before? I think you've done something like that with him in the past, right? I'm trying to remember. She needs to dominate him, and stop showing him fear. I've heard of people using a broom at first to block him from nipping at her. She needs to stand her ground, and use the broom as a tool to keep him from biting. You don't hit him, but push him away with the broom, and keep doing it until he stops. He needs to give up first. When he gives up, she will need to walk toward him and stand her ground. She may have to do this daily for several weeks. Please let me know if any of this works, and update if you can.

1 person likes this.
  4. SamSimone

SamSimone Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Thank you so so much! We will definitely try that!

Do you know my duck because of all the lovely puberty stories or from somewhere else? haha :p

We will start tonight, the broom stick is ready to be used haha :)

I will keep you posted, thanks again!

Love,
    Sam

5. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Yeah, we chatted a while back, and now I follow Guus on Instagram! Love that duck! Please check back and let me know how it goes!

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    If this works for your drake let me know, 'cuz it sure isn't working with mine. And he keeps attacking ME! Well, my feet, anyway. I don't think Wobbles is particularly bright, even by duck standards, because whenever I take a shower he doesn't recognize me for a good couple of hours. Ducks don't have much of a sense of smell, so why the heck can't he recognize his own mama?!

7. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Maybe he is a grumpy old man reincarnated in an adorable button nosed duck?

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Sometimes I wonder if I've gone from mama to interloper since Bean came into his life. I hope not. She looks to him for everything, so maybe he's returning the affection. I dunno, I'm grasping at straws. He still loves to be near me when I'm sitting or lying down, but when I walk around he'll chase and bite my toes! He hates socks with even more passion, so I can't just throw on a pair to stop his duckish rage. Nothing works, no matter how I try to dominate or punish him, it just doesn't stick. Talk about stubborn!

Babies or no, I'm seriously considering having hi fixed at this point just to see if it'll curb his aggression, even if it's only by a marginal amount.

9. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Maybe you can get one baby our of him before he is snipped. He is just too cute. It's hard though, with the aggression. From what I understand, they can outgrow it, but it may take years.

10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    He's 2 now, so we'll just have to see. At this rate I'm not even sure if these two will EVER have babies, since he still can't figure out how mating works, LOL! "Lemme just bite your face here, and stand on your foot there, and position myself completely backwards...yep, this feels about right"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by