My duck is a breeding-machine :D :P

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Loopeend, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Sorry I had to share..

We decided to keep one indian runner duck from this year, that absolutely was way below standards, but her personality was so good. We were still moping sometimes that she is so ugly, does not fit Indian runner standards, by body, and her pattern is terrible. Sometimes even doubting if she is full runner, with her short neck, fat belly, not standing straight (her parents were, and all of her siblings.. so that's not the case). But couldn't quite part because she is very tame and very smart. Which are also good qualities. But still...urgh.. ugly ducklings in the future.. (we want to deliver the best ducks on
    ALL qualities, poor duckies here are apparently on a never-ending miss world contest heehee).

Our love returned a bit more.
    Since a 2 weeks now, she has been laying two eggs a day :O
    I didn't want to tell before because maybe it was just a one time thing...

Which really improves her quality for people that want to have ducks for eggs. I never had a duck like that. Or chicken. So I'm quite excited in breeding with her again. The others lay 5-7 eggs a week. And this one 14 :O

Never had a duck like this or chicken; are there disadvantages? Will she quit laying earlier then other ducks? Will she have eventually longer gaps of zero egg-laying? Is it even a possitive thing?

2. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    We have three Indian runner girls, about six months old, one of them just started to lay one egg a day - much to my surprise because it is winter now and i expected them to start laying in spring when the days become longer. No clue if the Duckies would meet the »standards« and i really don't care! They all have a nice personality and just duck around. Keep an eye on your »ugly« duck and appreciate her daily gifts.
    Any pictures of her? We all like to see pictures of »ugly« ducks! ;)

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    She was a late one so I also expected her to start next spring. But she started before reaching 4 months.

Left a female runner, middle a young male runner, right a female duck runner from the same age as left female runner. that is the 'ugly' one.

Attached Files:

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  4. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    I don't think she looks ugly! I like her dark green bill and her face and those mud coloured spots are really unusual. You can try to breed »Muddy Indian Runners«, a new sub-breed.
    Imho the black spots in the face of the male are worse. I'd take her at once, but you're on the other side of the pond…

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I’ve never seen an ugly Runner! @Loopeend your Runners are very pretty even the one you call ugly. Just hard to believe she lays 2 eggs a day that has to be hard on her body.

6. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Agree!!! - What one bird may lack in pattern or color it will make up ten-fold in personality.

barbie74976, Loopeend and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    I'm worried about that too. But she still looks and acts the same. Swimming/flying/climbing around the same.

WannaBeHillBilly and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She isn't ugly at all. :idunno
    All Ducks and Chickens until the egg machine matures can lay pretty strange eggs and two eggs in one day. It won't last long though. :frow

WannaBeHillBilly and Loopeend like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Is she just 4 months old now @Loopeend ? My Runners were about 4 months when they began to lay. I guess the early laying isn’t uncommon. But only having Muscovy before them I was very surprised. Hope she gets her system kinks worked out soon did you say how long she has been laying 2 eggs a day?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  10. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    She is 7 months now. Laying 3 months. The first week 4 eggs, and after that daily. Now 2 eggs daily since a bit more then twee weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: