My duck is hurt and I don't know what it is

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LucyLucky, Mar 11, 2015.

1. LucyLucky

LucyLucky Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    Hi my 11 month old pekin female duck lucky has hurt her foot. I clean the pen everyday and change their water so it's always clean. There are no sharp objects but she's not putting any weight on her right foot. Does anyone know what's wrong and how I can help her? Also I looked in the bottom of her foot and there were just a couple of tiny black spots but no scabs.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Sounds like bumble foot. You can look up how to treat it with iodine. It's bedtime for me :)

3. LucyLucky

Jan 20, 2015
    But with bumble foot iSnt there black scabs that form on the bottom of the foot?

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
  5. LucyLucky

Jan 20, 2015
    So lucky only has a couple little black/ pink spots on her right foot. I was reading that bumble foot is associated with certain diets. I feed my ducks a small portion of Cheerios each day. Could this be why? Also how do I treat her foot? So I just soak it in Epsom salt and warm water and then put clear iodine on it?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Even if not bumble soaks will help if has has an injury . Use a small bucket and add the Epsom salt I use 1.5 cups to 1 gal. of warm water then i place both legs and feet down into the bucket and hold on to the duck hopefully she'll stay in at least 5-10 mins. after soaking dry her feet then take a qtip or cotton ball and wipe the colorless iodine over the places that have blk spots. you can use the li thing that comes in the bottle but i like to get the places really saturated is why I use a qtip.Do the soaks with ES daily and the clear iodine every 3 days till healed. If your feeding plain cheerios I can't see this would hurt them if just a small amount and only a treat and other wise they are getting a balanced diet. While your soaking run your fingers over her foot and feel for splinters too.

Welcome to BYC,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by