MY DUCK IS ILL - PLEASE HELP

ellacarling97

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
I have two aylesbury ducks,
jumpy.gif
one male and one female, and the female has recently became ill.
She makes a funny noise when she breathes, she has discharge round the eyes, has a loss of appetite and has not been laying eggs recently.
I love my ducks with my heart and soul and would hate to see anything bad happen to them.
Please can I have some advice as to how to help her get better?
I'm keeping her in a warm environment with plenty of straw, she has fresh water and food every day.
Is there anymore i can do?

Any help will be really appreciated I really need help!!

Thankyou
sad.png
sad.png

hugs.gif
First choice if at all possible - veterinarian.

In the meantime and if not possible, I would suspect a respiratory infection. At this point I would lean heavily toward getting some oral antibiotics. I rely heavily at this point on some other members for recommendations, but Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommends (for Chronic Respiratory Disease) Tylan as most effective, but also erythromycin or tetracycline (i.e. Agramycin).

Now - just want to point out that some respiratory infections are fungal, not bacterial, and antibiotics won't touch them. There is no medicine recommended in the book, but you can be sure to get rid of any moldy bedding or feed or other mold in the environment, if that is the situation, and give immune system support using vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics. Making sure she is warm enough, in a drier environment may help, and some people have used home remedies and herbs, like a little tiny bit of garlic, or oregano, for that. The archives may have some information for you. Go with your gut, you need to do what makes sense to you. I am not a vet, just a duck lover.

Will post more momentarily, want to send this.

Ducks can hide sickness very well and for a long time. That is one reason to seek some help from someone with access to good diagnostic tools and medicines.

I ordered Tylan 50 online. Feed stores also carry some antibiotics.

If it were me, I would get her in a lukewarm bath for ten minutes or so and listen closely to her. I would rinse her eyes by very gently spritzing them with Veterycin spray (or mild saline solution) or dabbing with Veterycin eye ointment.

Think about whether something like VetRx is worth a try. It is quite aromatic, some articles indicate that camphor is not so good for a duck. Tough spot, because it would be good to know of something mild that could help open up the airways. But ducks' respiratory systems seem to be sensitive.

I would think about brewing a cup of oregano tea. Maybe a teaspoon in 8 ounces of hot water, let that sit and cool a bit, and add it to the bathwater before putting her in the bath. Oregano is said to be natural antibiotic, a number of people put small amounts of it in their ducks' feed.

Last edited:
thankyou very much for the advice I shall try the bath tomorrow and see if it helps her feel any better!

Back
Top Bottom