My duck is limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kmdejesus116, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Kmdejesus116

Kmdejesus116 In the Brooder

Aug 29, 2018
    Please help. My duck (drake) is limping on his right leg. He usually runs up to us and nips at our feet every time we go outside but this time I noticed him just stay in one spot. He usually gets excited and follows me when he sees that I’m cleaning his bowl for food but he just stood there. When he finally walked I noticed he was limping. We picked him up and checked in from top to bottom and there were no physical abrasions or anything that visable that would explain why he is limping. He wouldn’t eat and only sipped some water. The only thing we could think of is maybe our patio chair fell on him from being blown by the wind. We saw two chairs blown down as well. I also saw tears coming down his eyes. What should or could I do for him? I guess I could compare this experience to a child falling down and hurting himself. The difference is a child can voice his pain or what’s wrong and the duck can’t. I hugged my duck but he really doesn’t like to be held but at least he knows we care. Should I take him to a vet or wait it out?

chickens really likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

No swelling or extra heat on one leg than the other. Could be a chair fell on him and it’s his back instead of his leg. Where is he? He may just get over it on his own just watch and if you can keep them up till the wind is over if you have things flying around out there.

DuckyDonna and shawluvsbirds like this.
  3. Kmdejesus116

Aug 29, 2018
    The chairs are put up so that way it doesn’t happen again. It is pretty windy in Orlando today. I can keep them in their coop. I wasn’t sure if they would get stressed out if I kept them in there for the whole day. They are used to roaming freely in the yard and settling in for the night. He was lying down when I checked on him just now. He got up when I moved closer. He stands but with the right leg kept up. I will continue to keep an eye on him of course. Hopefully it is something that will heal on it’s own

4. Miss Lydia

If it gets worse or no better in a couple days you might want to pen him up so he doesn’t use it too much. Some good poultry vitamins wouldn’t hurt either.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm sure he will recover. If a sprain it can take as long as 6 weeks to heal like in humans.

6. Kmdejesus116

Aug 29, 2018
    Where can I get poultry vitamins

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Parrot vitamins are just as good. Pet stores

8. Miss Lydia

Feed stores also carry poultry vitamins poultry Nutri drench is a good one.

casportpony likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Can you post a video of him walking? To post a video, upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo then copy/paste the link here.

If he is limping badly, then you should take him to a vet. You mentioned that he's not eating. If this continues that would be another good reason to take him to a vet.

I hope it's just a mild sprain. :fl

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: