My duck is lost :(

Rainbow1036

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Its been awhile since I have been on here but I have a crisis.

For the last 10 days I have been on a trip to Hawaii with my family. I let my duck stay outside so that he could still enjoy the creek while we were gone (we left his pen door open for him so he could come and go as he pleased and did that for a week before we left so that he would get used to that) We had a family friend come every other day to put out more food and to change his water bowl and put fresh straw down for him.

When we came back it had snowed about an inch of snow over the course of 3 days, however there were no duck tracks in the snow, nor any sign of my duck in the pen. I kayaked up and down the creek and didnt see him anywhere. He has always been very prompt at coming home around sunset so the fact that he hasn't come home in so long scares me. He is a 2.5 year old duck that I raised from an egg using a desk lamp. He has been free roaming for just under 2 years, always coming home at night.

Has anyone else gone on a vacation only to come home to find one of your ducks has disappeared? There is a stray cat that frequents our yard but there is no sign of struggle and my duck has always beat the cat up in the past when attacked by him (and various other animals, my duck doesn't take anything from anyone!) Any ideas why he could have disappeared other than the obvious (animal attack) I did notice some random human foot prints going through the snow in our back yard along the creek but no duck prints so it seems unlikely to me that someone stole him, at least from my yard.

I'm so worried, he is basically my child, I am running an ad in my local paper for the next 3 days offering a reward if he is returned, I just hope he is safe and well taken care of wherever he is.

Quote:
I don't know where you are but just off the top of my head I'd say predator, not being locked up at night is just asking for one to come and get him, so sorry you lost him.
hugs.gif
Have you checked at all your neighbors to see if he might be hanging around with them?

The same thing happened to me I have 2 ducks I raised them since babies and we went in vacay to az for a week and when I came back 1 was here and the other was gone. No feathers around the house so I know she’s alive but I just don’t know what happened
Thats a partial truth, Alot of predators snatch and carry to other locations to avoid attracting other predators and scavangers

When you leave on vacation, the predators know it. When my daughter went to college, and the place was quiet, that is when I had a fox massacre most of my chickens.
A fox can pick up a duck and not leave a feather, I've had that happen.

What kind of duck is he? Do you have raccoons? Possum? Foxes? Coyotes? You need to factor in all possible predators.

I lost a scovy hen to what I think was a coon. She also didn't take crap from anyone. She was her flock leader. The coon lifted up the chicken wire on her pen door and took her. I didn't see duck tracks either but my husband found feathers, blood, meat.. I was so devastated I sat in my chair for about an hour staring at her pen. You really need to think of all the possibilities. I hope you find your boy.

Thanks for the support everyone.

I live in Southwest lower Michigan. I also thought predators but there are no prints in the snow heading to his pen or anywhere along the creek other than the human tracks at all or any sign of struggle, of course that doesn't mean that a struggle couldn't have happened before the snow fell. I haven't actually asked any of my neighbors but I have walked through their yards and saw no sign of him.

He is a Mallard duck with mixes from other breeds (there are alot of abandoned ducks in our creek that breed) We have all of those animals, however we have never seen any of them on our side of the creek, though that of course doesn't mean that one couldn't come over to our side. If he was eaten by something I will feel so bad, I was going to lock him up in the garage but because of a forecast for mild winter weather and not wanting to keep him from his creek that he loves I decided to let him stay outside. I will forever regret that decision if I never find him
sad.png

Maybe he didn't like the snow? He stayed outside all last winter but I always went out before I opened his pen in the morning and shoveled him a path across our yard to the creek so he wouldn't have to wade through the snow, maybe with no path for him he didn't want to walk in the snow so he left?

Back
Top Bottom