My duck is mad at me?!?

owleyes22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 27, 2013
South Australia
Hi all,

I dont know whats happening... Bubby (my duck) has just been ignoring me or keeping away from me lately and i have no idea why. Usually when i call him or slap my legs he would come to me but now he just ignores me. when i try to pat him he runs away but if i grab him and pat him etc he relaxes. he doesnt get excited about treats any more and he is acting very hostile. he has been angrier than usual towards my family with biting etc which isnt like him.

Some things i have noticed recently are:
- We have started enclosing him at night times because he was attacked by a fox
- There is a little black kitten around our neighbourhood

The enclosure is quite big and he has his water (i feed him before i put him away to avoid rodents) and i make sure he is in and out every day.
The kitten isn't a problem because we used to have a big cat next door and Bubby attacked it pretty badly so a smaller cat shouldnt be a problem.

When i put him in the enclosure he will start sulking in the corner but as soon as i go inside and look through the kitchen window he is playing in the little bath.

Please help!

Thanks~

Bubby has been traumatized, and that can affect personality. He may also either be experiencing a hormonal surge, or it is possible he is under the weather. Any chance of him getting a buddy? Another drake? He may be feeling lonely. Just some guesses.

Has he recovered from his injuries completely?

his injuries are all completely gone and he was back to normal in no time. he was fine after the attack wounds healed but then it was spring and he kinda tried to mate with everything and now hes just not even going close to anyone and he hangs around this one corner of the back yard. we cant get him another duck friend cause my parents wouldnt allow it...

Is he going through a teenager phase or something?

thanks for the guesses though...

That's really sad that you can't get another duck friend for him. Ducks are flock animals and they need constant companionship in order to be happy. I think he's unhappy due to the new arrangements and not having a buddy to keep him company at night. Sounds like if there is nothing physically wrong (perhaps a vet is in order) then maybe he's depressed and frustrated. One more duck wouldn't be anymore work. Two drakes get on fine without females, and if you end up with a male and a female you can get some tasty eggs to eat :)

yea he has been fine with my company for his whole life so i dont really think that is an issue... are there any artificial things i could provide that would give him a feeling of company?

I have put a mirror in his enclosure but i have also noticed that bubby is doing this weird neck thing... i dont know if any of you guys have seen it before but he kinda shakes his neck and i put my hand there and he will shoot his head & neck over my hand. i think its like the equivilant to humans getting the shivers but he does it too often. when he was little i used to tell him to stop doing it and he stopped for a while but now hes doing it again..

Ah... well i think its just a tad strange cause usually he would try to "do it" on my family but now hes just running away and keeping his distance... he has never done this before....

Back
Top Bottom