My Duck is Sick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Prisoc Family, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Prisoc Family

Prisoc Family Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    We have 9 ducks and I noticed today that one of our Welsh is not wanting to move at all. They are not tame. When I walked into their house today, she was laying in the corner. I walked up to her and was able to pick her up and look her over without her even trying to get away. She didn't even move. We live in the mountains so the weather has changed a bit in the past few days and the co-op we were buying our feed from canceled. So, we have had to change feed within the past month. We now feed an organic feed from the store. All the other ducks seem to be fine and are still laying but she hasn't laid for the past 2 days. Her eyes are also not as wide as the others. I can tell she is not well but I don't know what is wrong with her. Also, this morning when when she walked out into her open area, she had a white mucus looking stuff coming out of her. Just a small amount. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

2. Prisoc Family

Feb 22, 2012
    I have also noticed that our ducks are a bit aggressive. Will they "beat up" on her throughout the night?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd deff move her away from the other ducks. She may have an egg that has broken inside of her which means she may get infection so you might want to get some antibiotics from the feed store. Let her have a good long soak in some water by herself sometimes just being in water can cause them to pass an egg or what maybe left of an egg.make sure you keep an eye on her while she soaks, Having mucus coming from the vent is worrisome. but giving her her own space till she perks up will be best since ducks can be quite mean when they realize one is sick.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. Prisoc Family

Feb 22, 2012
    Thank you so much. I never even thought about that. It's almost dark out now and very cold, only 23 degrees out so I will have to let her soak tomorrow. I will go separate her though. I have had almost every other kind of ag animal but never ducks so I'm a bit clueless. Thanks again!!

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I really wish I knew how to help you but I am also new to ducks this year. Will she eat? Is there any chance she could have gotten into something she shouldn't have? My fingers are crossed for you and I hope everything works out for your duck.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated on her and [​IMG] and if they free range she may have eaten something that has made her sick, there is a sticky at the top of the duck thread that tells you what to do if you suspect botulism. I was more focused on the mucus and egg problems. always a good idea to look at all aspects. Having not laid an egg in a couple days and acting this way still makes me think egg problems though. make sure she has fresh water and food while separate.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. Prisoc Family

Feb 22, 2012
    I did read up on other toxins and diseases but what you described makes the most sense for her symptoms. I will keep you posted and let you know how she's doing. Thanks so much :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks! we'll be thinking about you and her. [​IMG] and hoping for the best.

9. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    I hope your duck perks up soon. They are such sweet innocent creatures!

10. Prisoc Family

Feb 22, 2012
    Well, I have bad news. She died overnight. I feel horrible! I have had ag animals all my life and with any other animal, I would know what to do. I felt so helpless and uneducated. We researched ducks for about 6 months before we decided to get them. I guess only time and experience can train you for different things that might happen. Thanks so much for all your advice. Our other 8 ducks still seem to be doing well so hopefully that will continue.
    God Bless and thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by