My duck keeps bullying my new Muscovy duckling. (Confused)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CherpNPeep, Aug 25, 2018.

1. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Thank you for clicking on my post. I think I'm posting way too much for help but I just got my three Muscovy ducklings for my duck Peep who lost her mate and she'd peck on the yellow Muscovy and only the yellow one? What can I do, did I do anything wrong? I had to seperate them putting the ducklings into a see through bin and placed it in the pen with Peep. (The one who bullies the duckling.) :hit

Raenh and Quacking Pigeon like this.
  2. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    They're establishing pecking order. Some amount of "bullying" is relatively normal. I'd set up a space so they can meet, and even touch; but the babies can get away easily if need be.

3. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    HI! So I did some research and I found that drakes do that to females if the ratio is uneven? I'm confused though because the owner told me Peep was a female.

Raenh, Miss Lydia and Quacking Pigeon like this.
  4. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    Any duck will establish pecking order, not just drakes. You could have all ducks with zero drakes, and there will be an alpha female. Animals of all kids are really very into who is top of the hierarchy.

Raenh, Miss Lydia and CherpNPeep like this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Ducks don't automatically get along. Are the ducklings full grown yet? My adult ducks were quite mean to my ducklings initially (males and females) and had to be in a see no touch set up about a month before they could have time together. Even then they would try and bite the ducklings through the fence and bang on the bars. Next the ducklings had time with the nicest adults and eventually after a few more weeks everyone moved in together. It was rough at first but they all get along now. No one got to live together until the ducklings were virtually full grown.

Raenh, Miss Lydia and CherpNPeep like this.
  6. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    But like, she bullied just the one duckling out of the three.

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    And no they're not fully grown. Only 2 months old.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Try a look no touch pen for a few weeks. Introducing them while they free range helps and then separated again when your not watching over them.

Orca5094, Raenh and CherpNPeep like this.
  9. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Seems like the only way. Thank you!

Raenh and chickens really like this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes, once they gain confidence and mature a bit more they will look after themselves..

Raenh and CherpNPeep like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: