My duck killed my other duck

Pics

Gigib

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2022
I had 8 ducks, 7 now currently and I was away for a weekend while my family was looking over my ducks so this isn't feom my perspective. Earlier today my mom said that she was outside feeling my ducks before it happened but when she checked on them again apparently my female duck Alex was nibbling on my other female duck Marty (Madagascar characters) Melman my male duck was also nibbling but I was told it was mostly Alex. She had chunks missing as well as bits on her but and one on her neck I believe? I'm not so sure. My mom and brother put medicine but unfortunately she didn't make it since she was missing large chunks. They were raised together as ducklings so I don't know why she would hurt her. I know it's usually male ducks who attack but it was mostly Alex who attacked her. Is there any reason why she would do this and how would I prevent it? I had recently combined my two flocks together as there's 2 males and each had 6 females. They don't fight but aren't comfortable yet since it's been a month but could it be due to the stress of new ducks

I had 8 ducks, 7 now currently and I was away for a weekend while my family was looking over my ducks so this isn't feom my perspective. Earlier today my mom said that she was outside feeling my ducks before it happened but when she checked on them again apparently my female duck Alex was nibbling on my other female duck Marty (Madagascar characters) Melman my male duck was also nibbling but I was told it was mostly Alex. She had chunks missing as well as bits on her but and one on her neck I believe? I'm not so sure. My mom and brother put medicine but unfortunately she didn't make it since she was missing large chunks. They were raised together as ducklings so I don't know why she would hurt her. I know it's usually male ducks who attack but it was mostly Alex who attacked her. Is there any reason why she would do this and how would I prevent it? I had recently combined my two flocks together as there's 2 males and each had 6 females. They don't fight but aren't comfortable yet since it's been a month but could it be due to the stress of new ducks
I have never heard of ducks killing another duck unless it was drowning from mating
We’re they providing enough feed and water while you were away ?
Are you saying they were eating her alive ?
What kind of ducks do you own
What feed and treats are given regularly
How often are they fed ?
Do they have access to calcium for laying eggs ?
What kind of water do they get ?
Could a predator have got her first and then they were chewing on her ?

I have never heard of ducks killing another duck unless it was drowning from mating
We’re they providing enough feed and water while you were away ?
Are you saying they were eating her alive ?
What kind of ducks do you own
What feed and treats are given regularly
How often are they fed ?
Do they have access to calcium for laying eggs ?
What kind of water do they get ?
Could a predator have got her first and then they were chewing on her ?
Wr feed them everyday in 3 bowls to make so they aren't hungry. I own mallard ducks which were the ones who killed her. Marty who died I don't know what breed she was but she was smaller and a brown color. And my other ducks I barely added were pekins. They do have calcium in their eggs since all their eggs come out nice and healthy. I keep all my ducks in an enclosure so nothing could really get her. We have neighborhood cats however all of them are nice and don't attack which I have tested many times so it's not the cats who could attack and even if they did the fence is too small for them to vet in or even paw her. It was bites and not scratches a cat couldn't fit enough to bite. My mom saw Alex pecking her before they came to get her so that's y I say it was my ducks. They have a pool which we usually clean out once it gets dirty so they get hose water if that's what your asking

Where were the bites/attack marks on her? How are the other ducks acting? Do you have a covered run?
Yes my run is covered from all sides including the top area. My mom said that she has chunks missing from her and that they were large. It couldn't have been another animal since nothing can get inside the enclosure

Back
Top Bottom