MY DUCK LAID AN EGG NOW WHAT ????

chickengirlnm

Songster
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
clovis, new mexico
Ok went out this morning to put ducks in thier own side of the yard than to open coop door like I do every morning - while I was walking around the yard to make sure everything is how it is supposed to be I noticed something on the ground near the food dishes... AN EGG !! I know it is not from my hen she lays brown eggs and she was in the coop last night and I know it is not one of the other girls they are to young to lay and they were in coop also.
This egg is small a little bigger than what I am getting from my Buff Rock ( her eggs are about 2inches ) and this egg is a funny greenish color so it has to be from Ebony my cayuga (sp) duck, but I dont know if it is any good since she laid in the night/ also she has been breeding with my mallard mix daily so do I need to look out for her to have babies??
I was not expecting this so early in the morning I did not even have my coffee yet and my animals are already confusing me LOL

any thoughts or ideas or anything would be great for now the egg is in the frig. I want to show hubby when he gets home dont think we will eat it or anything just show-and-tell LOL

thanks
Julie

fry that baby up! Duck eggs are delicious!
big_smile.png

Yep its a duck egg as my hen has started laying also 1 egg a day and its green also. I think here the weather is going to get to cold for them to hatch and she just started laying. Im not sure as they might take a bit longer before they get broody ...like hens I will wait till mine is ready to sit but right now all she wants to do is follow the others in the morning and dont want to sit her egg either...maybe in the spring .

cook with it too. we have 7 ducks, and 4 are hens, we eat the duck eggs, and cook with them, or you can let her sit on them in the summer and hatch some out.

thank you for the fast replies !! I am so thankful that she is only laying and not sitting her eggs since it is starting to get cold I was afraid of getting babies ! I plan on letting her hatch some babies when it gets warm again and when she is ready.
I think since she laid this egg at night- and it was pretty cool last night the egg sound still be good, it was cold when I picked it up this morning.
well it is nice to get eggs again since my only hen of egg laying age has stopped for right now.
I thought duck eggs were larger than this - or will they get bigger the more she lays?
This is so cool I HAVE A DUCK EGG !!
wee.gif

hubby is not going to believe me LOL

thank you everyone
Julie

My ducks are white pekin and the eggs are very large. I made deviled eggs for a family reunion and everyone ate them up... saying they were the biggest deviled eggs they ever saw!!! I told them after they were duck eggs!! Some already suspected because they knew we had ducks!!

ok I feel guilty-- I cracked the egg open and it had a bullseye- it could have been a baby if I had a bator.
how do I know when she is ready to hatch eggs? and how do you know which eggs are furtile without cracking them open??

everyday I get more confused out my chickens/ducks LOL
it seems the longer I have them the more guestions I seem to have.

How are you all getting green eggs from your Cayuga's???? My Cayuga's are laying white eggs. My Black Sweedish is laying green eggs though. Good luck!!! They lay first thing in the morning just before light... the eggs will be find if you want to collect them.

Also, sent you an email... good luck
Tes

I would just collect them and let them hatch them out next year when it is warmer. late spring is good. incubators are good, I hatch chicken eggs all the time, only thing is you need a turner and to keep check of the temp. and humidity. it was cool when my ducks just decided to sit on them and hatch them. I just made them a special pen so they would be safe. You did say you have americanas? are they like the easter egg chickens? I have some and they lay green eggs.

Last edited:
well the green egg could only have come from my cayuga - my other two ducks are maleone is a white pekin and the other is a mallard/crested mix- the egg was laid in the yard near the coop.
my hens were all in the coop so i know it was not one of them LOL and my americana's are not old enough to lay yet so it could only be from Ebony.

here is a pic of the crew
the black one is the one i am sure laid the egg, the white one has a girly tail so i am sure he is a male and the crested is the one that breeds with ebony so i know he is a male lol

ducks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom