My duck laying mystery

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by perrylemon, Nov 10, 2015.

1. perrylemon

perrylemon New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    I have the female khaki Campbell and a male Mallard. My female khaki Campbell started laying eggs already but she only sits on them during the night but why not during the day. Also she laid 7 egg on 11 9 2015. 2 were soft shelled and two of them cracked because she laid them on a rock. She laid the eggs scattered all around the yard. Can You tell me why she only sits on the eggs during the night and why she laid so many eggs that day

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I'm not a duck person, you could drop by the duck section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks I'm sure the members there will be able to help you.
    I can say though that if your duck is not broody she will not constantly sit on them. They have to be broody for them to incubate them. As she is leaving them during the day I would say she is not.
    As for laying lots of eggs in one day, I don't think she can. It takes many hours for an egg to be produced and laid. Could she have laid them on others days and you didn't know? That would be the most likely cause for me.

Good luck over in the duck sectio and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely check out our duck link that Yorkshire coop left with you and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. perrylemon

perrylemon New Egg

Nov 9, 2015
    Thank you for welcoming me but my female duck Perry did lay all those eggs I wanted to know if that was ok. Every time we went over tho the area they were in there was an egg.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That would certainly be a lot of eggs to lay in one day. Are you sure she didn't have them hidden someplace originally and then uncovered them making it appear as though she laid all of them in one day?

My guess is she is not sitting on the 24/7 because she is not broody. In other words, she isn't trying to become a mama at this point in time.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post on the "Duck thread," to hear from folks who breed them. Ducks are a mystery to me but, ducklings are just adorable.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you click on the link Yorkshire coop gave you, it will take you to the duck forum and someone there should have some advice for you.

Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by