My duck(ling)s life. TONS OF PICS!!!!! dial-up beware.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Going back to mid June now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

older
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. I told you a ton of pics.

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Whoa, that was a lot of pictures. There were some really good ones. I really like ducks, but there is nowhere for them to swim around here. [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:I use a plastic pool and I will most likely dig a pond next year.

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Anything that holds water is fair game for ducks. Mine also love sprinklers or being sprayed.
    Cute ducks Ticks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plus their indoor pond.
    [​IMG]

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I want ducks.

How many you have? how many ladies and how many gents? keeping all of them? or are some dinner?

make a pond and a floating duck house...that would be soooo rad.

and then swim with them in the mud hole and frollick and play.

quack quack quack.

me,
    g

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:g [​IMG]
    I currently have 4. 3/4 are drakes, so one breeding pair, i hope to get more. I'm trying to get rid of the excess drakes, thanks for the support of the floating duck house.

7. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Ticks,
    I would have thought you had only one drake because of the one pic with green head. So, how did you determine the sex.
    I have 3 Rouens that look just like yours (pic below) except none with a green head. When the sun hits them just right, it looks like there is just a hint of green.
    None have the super curl on the tail and only one of them quacks loud. They are about 6 -7 months old. I bought 2 pair at 14 weeks and 1 was killed in the first week. One person told me that I have 3 males and Ideal poultry said that if they have the brown all over, they are females or either a mixed Rouen of some sort.
    Anyway, just curious how you determined.

Thanks,
    Teri

[​IMG]

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I want ducks now!

DH says no cause we dont have standing water. I mentioned the pool idea and he still said no. Darn him. I actually think he wouldnt prevent me from having them

what do they need for shelter?

will they fly off w/the wild ducks that migrate through? (i dont want to clip wings)

can they eat the same food as chickens?

would they eat the mosquitos that would breed in the pond?

9. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    Rooster,
    I have the 3 older ones that are totally free range and get cracked corn at night. Not much, about a cup between the 3 and the eat the fish feed when my husband throws it in the pond every afternoon. They actually prefer the fish feed.

I also have 19 (started with 21) 6 week old ducks (Rouens, Blue Swedish, and Pekins), that I have in a pen until they are old enough to go on the pond. I figure around mid January. They have been eating non-med chick starter since day one. They have only been swimming twice in a kiddie pool and if was less that 5 minutes per duck. I got nervous watching them swim underwater.

The older 3 had never seen water (other than drinking) before when I got them. They were 14 weeks old and I put them in a pen near the water for 2 nights. Then let them out and it took them about 10 minutes before getting in the pond. It was quite funny to see ducks swim for the first time.
    I started with 4 and lost one to a preditor the first week. I think this was before the figured out that they are supposed to get in the water when something sneeks up.

I do plan to build a little hoop house type structure for them near the pond. Nothing fancy, just some 2x6 's with pvc hooped between, then covered with a tarp and open on one end. They like to sit under chairs that get left by the pond. Hopefully, they will lay eggs in there so I don't have to hunt.

You don't have to have a pond for them though. Just get them a little plastic pool or dig a shallow hole (about 18" deep). Put some of that pond liner down and put rocks around it to hold down the plastic. Instant pond!
    Use a low spot in the yard where most of the water drains to and this will help clean it out when it rains.

I also already had chickens and guineas. The 3 older ducks really like my husband and start quacking the minute they hear his truck coming in the afternoons. He would never admit it, but he really likes have them worship him so much. [​IMG]

Teri

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Aaaawww [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by