My duck lose balance and suffer a drop neck...

PosOdin

Hatching
Apr 14, 2018
Hi everyone, I have a serious problem with my duck Albert... He has about 2 months old and was pretty well developing, but about a week ago, he started to experimenting some difficulties with his balance (dropping backwards) and neck dropped, he can't stand still...

He has been living inside of my house, and I have fedding him with cornflour since he was born, never experimenting these problems, after one day that he went for a swim...

I have swamp with a couple of ducks in it, and some of they died cause something killed them, something that a I don't know, and Albert went for a swim in it, like 30 minutes, and these problems appeared 3 days later after that swim...

It is really weird, he has being very active, he eats and drinks water well, but falls backwards and dropps his neck down...

Please help me, I don't know what to do...

Welcome to BYC. It sounds a bit like it could be botulism, a poison produced in dead animals or fish found underwater. They can become paralyzed in their feet, leggs, wings, and neck. Most times death occurs in the first 2 days, but some survive with care and feeding.

This problem he has does not seem to be as severe as botulism, so maybe a vitamin deficiency? Or wry neck?

What you are feeding, cornflour, is not a god balanced diet. Can you buy chicken feed or gamebird feed for him at the feed store? Since he needs help, I would add a lot of water to it to make it thin. I would also give him Poultry NutriDrench 3 ml daily ( a little over 1/2 teaspoonful.)

Hi everyone, I have a serious problem with my duck Albert... He has about 2 months old and was pretty well developing, but about a week ago, he started to experimenting some difficulties with his balance (dropping backwards) and neck dropped, he can't stand still...

He has been living inside of my house, and I have fedding him with cornflour since he was born, never experimenting these problems, after one day that he went for a swim...

I have swamp with a couple of ducks in it, and some of they died cause something killed them, something that a I don't know, and Albert went for a swim in it, like 30 minutes, and these problems appeared 3 days later after that swim...

It is really weird, he has being very active, he eats and drinks water well, but falls backwards and dropps his neck down...

Please help me, I don't know what to do...
Ducks require high amounts of niacin in their diet . Try adding some Brewers yeast to the feed. Limber neck can also be the result of botulism so it wouldn't hurt to administer some activated charcoal or Epsom salts as a flush.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds a bit like it could be botulism, a poison produced in dead animals or fish found underwater. They can become paralyzed in their feet, leggs, wings, and neck. Most times death occurs in the first 2 days, but some survive with care and feeding.

What you are feeding, cornflour, is not a god balanced diet. Can you buy chicken feed or gamebird feed for him at the feed store? Since he needs help, I would add a lot of water to it to make it thin. I would also give him Poultry NutriDrench 3 ml daily ( a little over 1/2 teaspoonful.)
Corn flour is not a sufficient diet for a young developing duck. You need to get him chick starter feed ASAP. And supplement his diet with niacin by sprinkling brewers yeast on his feed. Also, it's good to supplement ducks diet with cat kibble for extra protein as well as fresh greens.

x2 on botulism.

Thanks everyone for the replys...
I will give him vitamins and change the diet... I saw videos of botulism and the ducks on it can't move at all, Albert right now can move and stay active, he has like 4 days with the issues... Botulism develops with time or there are some levels of it...?

No botulism is fast and usually paralyzes them all over within hours. If he can move around, he more like just has a vitamin deficiency. Get some B complex and crush one tablet into his food daily. Make it a little moist so he gets the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom