My duck may have an impacted crop, what should I do

Its_Bri01

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
Ok so I have posted to this forum before, but I wanted to create a new one with updated pictures and a little more information about the situation. I brought my ducklings home March 23 and everything was great. For about a week now, the duck in the picture has not been extending its neck like the others. He just keeps his head to his chest. He breathes a little bit heavier than the others, kind of like it is muffled. I did some research and it may be that he has an impacted crop? I was wondering if anyone else can look at the picture and suggest anything that can help. I would love to bring him to a vet but unfortunately, there are none that specializes in birds near my area. I’m almost positive he is a Pekin. He did not suffer any injury that I am aware of and he is not showing any signs of pain or discomfort when I touch around there. He eats and drinks. If anyone else has had this problem and can suggest any solutions that would be great!

Attachments

• F748524F-DC7F-4769-AAFC-65F19BCC136F.jpeg
    F748524F-DC7F-4769-AAFC-65F19BCC136F.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 65EA2686-F949-47A0-9527-67C7CAE2169F.jpeg
    65EA2686-F949-47A0-9527-67C7CAE2169F.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 11
Ok so I have posted to this forum before, but I wanted to create a new one with updated pictures and a little more information about the situation. I brought my ducklings home March 23 and everything was great. For about a week now, the duck in the picture has not been extending its neck like the others. He just keeps his head to his chest. He always breathes a little bit heavier than the others, kind of like it is muffled. I did some research and it may be that he has an impacted crop? I was wondering if anyone else can look at the picture and suggest anything that can help. I would love to bring him to a vet but unfortunately, there are none that specializes in birds. I’m almost positive he is a Pekin. He did not suffer any injury that I am aware of and he is not showing any signs of pain or discomfort when I touch around there. He eats and drinks. If anyone else has had this problem and can suggest any solutions that would be great!
His crop does look rather full. Is he passing poop? Ducks poop over 15 minutes, so if you put him into a clean box for a short while under supervision, you will soon know whether he is or not.
Does his crop feel soft or hard? Is he eating anything other than starter and does he have grit?
Is he able to walk around, and stand up? How do his legs look?

Ok so I have posted to this forum before, but I wanted to create a new one with updated pictures and a little more information about the situation. I brought my ducklings home March 23 and everything was great. For about a week now, the duck in the picture has not been extending its neck like the others. He just keeps his head to his chest. He breathes a little bit heavier than the others, kind of like it is muffled. I did some research and it may be that he has an impacted crop? I was wondering if anyone else can look at the picture and suggest anything that can help. I would love to bring him to a vet but unfortunately, there are none that specializes in birds near my area. I’m almost positive he is a Pekin. He did not suffer any injury that I am aware of and he is not showing any signs of pain or discomfort when I touch around there. He eats and drinks. If anyone else has had this problem and can suggest any solutions that would be great!
When I ask about his legs, I am asking if they are straight, if his feet turn in, if they're shaky, if he lies down a lot etc.
Also, what temperature is his brooder?

His crop does look rather full. Is he passing poop? Ducks poop over 15 minutes, so if you put him into a clean box for a short while under supervision, you will soon know whether he is or not.
Does his crop feel soft or hard? Is he eating anything other than starter and does he have grit?
Is he able to walk around, and stand up? How do his legs look?
Yesterday I took him out and watched him for about an hour and he only pooped once and it wasn’t a lot. His crop feels a bit hard. I tried massaging it because I read that can help relieve him but it didn’t seem to do anything. I am very new to ducks and I am learning everyday but I recently started putting this oil in their food that has vitamin b-12, niacin and other supplements in it. I recently found out about the grit and going to go buy some today. He is able to walk around, he is not as active as the other ducks though. His legs to look fine.

When I ask about his legs, I am asking if they are straight, if his feet turn in, if they're shaky, if he lies down a lot etc.
Also, what temperature is his brooder?
His legs are straight and they are not shaky. When he walks, his one foot does look like it is going inward, but the other ducks walk the same way. He does lie down a lot when he walks around. The only time he will get up and walk is to follow the other ducks. His brooder is around 80, I started him at 90 when I brought him home.

Yesterday I took him out and watched him for about an hour and he only pooped once and it wasn’t a lot. His crop feels a bit hard. I tried massaging it because I read that can help relieve him but it didn’t seem to do anything. I am very new to ducks and I am learning everyday but I recently started putting this oil in their food that has vitamin b-12, niacin and other supplements in it. I recently found out about the grit and going to go buy some today. He is able to walk around, he is not as active as the other ducks though. His legs to look fine.
You only need chick grit if he is having any treats, if he has eaten anything other than duckling food, then that could potentially cause an impaction.
If he only pooped once in one hour then that is a little concerning, food seems to be passing through but not much...
Does he always have access to food and water?
I don't want to give you the wrong advice, though. Let me call someone experienced in

@Miss Lydia do you think it is impacted? Perhaps massaging the crop, or even removing food for a short time? I've heard of some people feeding coconut oil to help with things like this, impactions and constipation, could that help? If the food isn't emptying completely, could that be/become sour crop?

You only need chick grit if he is having any treats, if he has eaten anything other than duckling food, then that could potentially cause an impaction.
If he only pooped once in one hour then that is a little concerning, food seems to be passing through but not much...
Does he always have access to food and water?
I don't want to give you the wrong advice, though. Let me call someone experienced in

@Miss Lydia do you think it is impacted? Perhaps massaging the crop, or even removing food for a short time? I've heard of some people feeding coconut oil to help with things like this, impactions and constipation, could that help? If the food isn't emptying completely, could that be/become sour crop?
He does always have access to food and water. He is living with the other ducks right now. Should I separate him and put him by himself for a little bit? I was going to last night but as soon as I separated him , he was quacking to be put back with the other ducks. I am scared to make him lonely / stress him by removing him from the others. I do give them mealworms here and there along with a little amount of fresh lettuce as treats.

What type of niacin are you using? what feed are you feeding? No need to separate him. They do much better being with their flock. As long as he isn't being trampled. Buy chick grit and put it into a small container close to their feed but not in it. They know instinctively when they need it. Since you are feeding mealworms and some lettuce maybe he just needs some grit. If you have some coconut oil you could see if he'll eat a small amount off the tip of your finger.
:welcome

He does always have access to food and water. He is living with the other ducks right now. Should I separate him and put him by himself for a little bit? I was going to last night but as soon as I separated him , he was quacking to be put back with the other ducks. I am scared to make him lonely / stress him by removing him from the others. I do give them mealworms here and there along with a little amount of fresh lettuce as treats.
I would leave him with his buddies! As Miss Lydia said, if you are feeding mealworms, I think he may just need some grit. I would put a hold on treats until you can get him some!
When you say other ducks, do you mean his own age?

What type of niacin are you using? what feed are you feeding? No need to separate him. They do much better being with their flock. As long as he isn't being trampled. Buy chick grit and put it into a small container close to their feed but not in it. They know instinctively when they need it. Since you are feeding mealworms and some lettuce maybe he just needs some grit. If you have some coconut oil you could see if he'll eat a small amount off the tip of your finger.
:welcome
The niacin is in the oil I bought for him, along with the vitamin B-12. I had them on starter feed and now they are eating something called scratch grains, should I be feeding them something different ? I will go out and buy the grit today and do what you said.

Back
Top Bottom