my duck needs surgery !!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kiki to Nana, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Kiki to Nana

Kiki to Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2016
    Hey guys. My duck needs surgery, she has a ton of metal inside her tummy from digging... the other 2 still need to be checked. Looking for help.
    Has anyone had surgery done on their duck? Has anyone had their duck live with metal inside them? Our vet said she definitely needs surgery.

2. Kiki to Nana

Aug 1, 2016
    @Miss Lydia

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Kiki to Nana

Aug 1, 2016
    @[email protected] Lydia is surgery really the best option (and necessary) choice in these situations? We are just fearful of the anesthesia, it would be horrible to lose her when she could have lived with it for years more.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have not had to deal with this in our flock, so I can only share what I have heard.

Surgery is very risky, Some ducks make it through fine some do not.

Metal poisoning is also high risk, if not always fatal - I do not know what the statistics are. But hardware disease is a killer.

I would ask the vet about what they do to reduce the risk of the duck not surviving the surgery.

There are chelating agents, I believe, that can be given to help protect the duck from metal in their system. I do not know details, like when it is recommended, how long and how expensive treatment is.

6. Kiki to Nana

Aug 1, 2016
    She's on a ton of antibiotics and she's getting calcium shots before she goes into surgery. We go back Thursday so we will ask more questions. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Kiki to Nana Did you read the link I posted? It doesn't look like they will survive if they aren't treated, which is the way to go you'll have to ask questions like Amiga said and then weigh you options. I am so sorry this has happened.

8. Kiki to Nana

Aug 1, 2016
    @Miss Lydia sure did but it's mostly news no one wants to hear. Hopefully they have made strides towards keeping our exotic friends safe during these procedures. Definitely a situation to learn from we will keep you guys updated. Thank you for your help!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope so too @Kiki to Nana [​IMG] I know some on here have even had their female ducks spayed so surely there is a safe way to go a bout this.

10. Kiki to Nana

Aug 1, 2016
    @Miss Lydia would you mind tagging them on here or inquiring about the type of anesthesia used and how they made the process as smooth as possible? I can't imagine giving them elective surgery when it feels like the risk is just so high (dont know an exact percentage). I am trying to do my best to make sure she comes back to us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by