My Duck Pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcardella, Oct 24, 2009.

1. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Well, I finally got tired of emptying the baby pool every day (or should I say my back got tired of it), and decided to make something more permanent and easier for me. I have been looking at all the great duckponics threads, but decided that was a bit too involved for me right now; I just needed something easier to empty, clean and fill. I have no construction skills, and this was really easy to do.

So this is what I came up with, and so far, it's working great and the ducks love it! It cost about $150, and the most expensive thing was the pond liner.

I nestled it in between the pines so it would blend into the yard:
    [​IMG]

I leveled the ground with paver sand, then built a frame with pressure-treated 8' landscape timbers. I left them 8' on the sides, and cut them in half for the ends. I stacked the timbers 4 high, securing them with stakes as I went. I used pressure-treated 1" x 6" to secure the ends. After the drain was installed and dry, I layed the liner, secured it with staples, then screwed another timber on top to hold it.
    [​IMG]

Before I secured the liner to the frame, I attached a pvc drain to the liner by cutting a small hole in the liner, stretching it over the drain, then gluing it with plumbers glue, securing it between the drain base, and the metal cover. I used pvc glue to attach the drain pipe. I let it dry overnight before securing the liner. Then I caulked the entire edge of the drain, and let it dry. (The small brass pipe on the left above the drain is an hose pipe I installed to water my garden).
    [​IMG]

The pipe coming out of the bottom of the pond. The pipe is 3" diameter, so drains the entire pond in about 15 minutes. It takes about 20-30 minutes to refill, and I just used a long-handled brush to scrub it as it's draining.
    [​IMG]

From the side - you can see where I dug a shallow trench so the pipe would be below the pond. I also angled everything slightly downward:
    [​IMG]

Another view - I also put a smaller drain on the side of the liner with a hose attached (the green one), so I could also run the hose to my garden to make use of the nutrient-rich pond water ( just knotched the timbers to accomodate the hose):
    [​IMG]

I put down some gravel when the pipe ends to help the flow of water when it drains:
    [​IMG]

Steps for the ducks:
    [​IMG]

Voila - duck pond! I put the ramp in temporarily for the younger ducks, but they all love to run up it and jump in, so I may leave it:
    [​IMG]

They love it, and I have to usher them out in the evening to go to bed [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Looks great!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Quote:Thanks!

4. THIS IS SO TOTALLY AWESOME!! [​IMG]
    Looks great, amazingly functional, inexpensive, easy to put together!! I am inspired!!
    How long have you had it up?
    I would like to see how it holds up over time, I hope you keep this thread updated. [​IMG]

5. kcardella

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Thank you Dances with Ducks! I LOVE how much time and effort it saves me. It has only been up for about a month, but I will let you know how it holds up. Being in Florida, our biggest problem is humidity and heat, but I am hoping the pressure-treated lumber will last a while. I considered using paving stones as the sides, but didn't want to spend the extra money.

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Wow... I love it!

7. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I love it too!!! Gives me some ideas for my own! [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That is so cool!!! I'll have to show this to hubby when we decide to get ducks!! Thanks for sharing!! [​IMG]

Missi

9. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    [​IMG] Great Job! That might have to be out next pond [​IMG]

10. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    That is very cool. I may show those to hubby and copy you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by