My duck seems to be straining/flexing in between her shoulder blades, looks sick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jennytg3, Sep 6, 2014.

1. jennytg3

jennytg3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    Hello - a couple of days ago my runner duck Eve looked like she was trying to pass an egg by flexing her butt, so I didn't think anything of it, I thought it was odd I saw her do it the next day too for a while. Then yesterday I noticed the flexing was in between her shoulder blades and she was opening and closing her mouth like she didn't feel well.

I have tried:

1. feeling her abdomen to see if she has an egg in there - does not seem like it. She doesn't have a full abdomen either, and seems lighter than normal (however she is molting right now).

2. Putting her in a tub of warm water. She normally poops as soon as she gets in water and has not done so, so she may be backed up.

3. Tried to make her eat molasses in case she's constipated. She ate a little bit of the corn in molasses water but doesn't seem to like it. I'm going to try a turkey baster and stick in her mouth next (is that how you do it?)

I took a short video of her in her condition so you can see the flexing she's doing - any suggestions would be much appreciated! I love her and want her to get better.

[​IMG]

2. jennytg3

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    quick update - after I took her out of the bath she pooped a little tiny bit, but not much.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Says the video is private, and usually when they are in molt they don't lay. I wouldn't use a turkey baster to squirt water down her throat it may go into her air sacs and can cause pneumonia.
    Dribble along the opening of her bill or just put some molasses into her drinking water. Do you have the right info on using molasses? I have only seen it used as a flush which would probably work here in your situation. Is she eating and drinking okay? when did she last lay? I just lost a hen[chicken] to egg yolk peritonitis [pretty sure from what I observed]And she was in molt too. is there any discharge coming from her vent? how does it look?

4. jennytg3

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    Thanks for trying to view the video! Sorry I had the settings wrong. So I ended up taking her to the vet and she has a huge infection in all of her air sacks - took x-rays, so she's on two different types of antibiotics twice a day, and I have to keep her inside and keep a close eye on her. It's pretty serious but hopefully the antibiotics will turn things around.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so glad you took her in, Ducks can over come alot so hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and she'll get through this. Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by