My duck was attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChewyDuckyWebby, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ChewyDuckyWebby

ChewyDuckyWebby New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Hello my name is Jenna I am new to BYC. I have 3 ducks Chewy Ducky and Webby and yesterday my neighbors dog got into my yard and attacked Chewy when we finally got her away from the dog she didnt look so good. I brought her inside and gave her a nice warm bath and set her up an area to sleep inside. So far she has been doing good she's been eating and drinking water, but she seems to be having an issue with her left leg she can still stand, walk, and Swim. But I am worried that I'm not doing enough to keep her healthy. So are there any other things I could be doing to ensure she recovers quickly?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear that Chewy was injured. [​IMG] It sounds like there are no visible wounds? Sometimes they're hidden under the feathers, but it's important to identify and start treating those right away. It's possible that she may have internal injuries, too, if the dog got a hold of her, so keeping her warm and quiet is good. Increasing the protein in her feed and adding a vitamin/electrolyte supplement to her water may help assist her recovery, too.

Can you post a photo of her left leg? If she can bear weight on it, that's a positive sign. Is it swollen?

Best wishes for her speedy recovery!

3. FoodFreedomNow

technical issue - double post

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. ChewyDuckyWebby

ChewyDuckyWebby New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Her leg isn't swollen at all she just doesn't want to put much weight on it she just kinda limps along but she is using it to swim around. She doesn't seem to have any type of wounds. I've looked under her wings and tried to look under feathers for any hidden wounds and there doesn't see to be any. The only thing that really worries me is her leg. She is currently in a bath but once I get her out I'll post a picture of it

5. ChewyDuckyWebby

ChewyDuckyWebby New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

Here is an image of her leg

6. FoodFreedomNow

Ok, it's good that there aren't any visible injuries. Letting her bathe and soaking the leg should help - do you have any Epsom salt on hand to add to the bath? There's a thread here that has treatment info. that seems applicable to the leg injury: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/922567/duck-leg-injury.

Tagging @Miss Lydia and @Amiga for their advice.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Not knowing what all went on while the dog had her it's hard to say what maybe wrong with her leg. But usually rest helps with alot of leg injuries so keeping her in and letting her rest is the best for her right now. Don't let her use her leg alot right now.

If you decide to use Epsom salt and warm water to soak her leg Don't let her drink the water Epsom salt is awesome for sprains and wounds but is also a laxative.

I have a Runner duck right now that probably sprained her leg and what I have done with her is make up the Epsom salt and warm water then use a soft wash cloth dip it into the solution and wring just till some of the water is out then I wrap her leg where I think the injury is with mine it's at the ankle. That way she can't drink the water and I can wrap her in a towel lay her on my lap on her back and wrap all by myself. I use a pretty strong solution of half cup ES to half gal of warm water.

Hopefully you'll begin to see noticeable improvement real soon.

1 person likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A good duck vet is best but not always possible.
    I agree with the advice you have been given. Rest, time in a tub of lukewarm water, no soap, supervised, and keep her quiet with good food and fresh water - if you can keep her fairly quiet and keep her with her buddies that is good. Otherwise an unbreakable mirror for company.

Has the dog situation been dealt with?

I also like to use herbal remedies, so I use comfrey salve I make, or T-Relief ointment externally on the injured leg.

9. ChewyDuckyWebby

ChewyDuckyWebby New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    [​IMG]Yes the neighbors took the dog somewhere else yesterday after it got in our yard again after we took the duck inside.
    I bought some electrolytes but I am curious as to weather they are safe for her because when I bought the duck as a duckling they told me that they can poison the ducks.
    I posted an image of what they are.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have never heard of electrolytes, used according to directions, poisoning ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by