My duck was badly injured how long should I tend to her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickney, Sep 30, 2016.

1. chickney

chickney Out Of The Brooder

My duck was badly injured in the Great Duck Massacre of 2016 in our yard. Our total flock was 12 and now we have 7 left. One duck has open gashes on her neck and seems to be rather alert. Immediately after the incident I tended to her first aid (I'm first aid certified), and placed her in a box. She does not do well with human contact and every time I go by the box she gets really big and hissy. I have decided her injuries are too severe to be around the other ducks and chickens (which I'm more concerned about harming her). I started her in this box yesterday and she was fine and alert this morning. I fear she may loose the want to live and I picked her up and took her out to her duck friends to look at. She did some quacking and they quacked back, but I still think her wound is too open to be around them. I would prefer it to start closing or scabbing up before letting her in the run.
    I have been feeding her lettuce, but I am not sure if she is eating it. I am also going to put some electrolytes in her water.
    She is really sensitive and she is most happy when we place a towel over her, I suspect the darkness is not the best for her which is why I am taking her on little walks every 4 hours (of me holding her).

Does anyone have a suggestion for how long I may need to care for this duck in her hospital nest?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Do it until she recovers and the reward will be GREAT FOR YOU. You are a caring person so your duck surely senses it. Animals can feel good feelings as well as bad projected onto them by human keepers. Last year I had one of my hens attacked by a neighbors dog. I did not think she would make it, but she did. As a result she is totally blind now, but eats and drinks with no problem. 15 months passed and I am still taking care of her. She is
    10 1/2 years old now, so her time may be up naturally. I will care for her until then. I only keep chickens as pets.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. chickney

chickney Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for your encouragement. I feel like she was too depressed in her holding cell after the traumatic incident. Today I let her hang out with the other ducks and she was so happy. I decided to have her be with her fellow ducks and she is in the coop. I think now that there is only one male, her injury should not be disturbed. I guess we'll see what happens!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by