1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

my duck was injured and now it's not eating much

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joojoo.abraham, Sep 14, 2018 at 8:14 AM.

1. joojoo.abraham

joojoo.abraham Hatching

Friday
    hello
    today my mom opened the backyard door while one of my ducks was sitting near and it's foot got stuck under the door and now it's limping and went inside the shed and stood there the whole day. We've tried feeding it but it barely eats anything even peas which they love a lot. could it be the injury that made it lost it's appetite and will it stay like this while it's health gets worse. please help

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Ducksandchickens likes this.
  2. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Generally hurt animals do not want to eat. It is more important that the duck have access to water right now. How bad is the foot? Rest is probably the best thing for it.
    How is the duck doing?
    Sorry to hear this has happened to your duck and it is what brought you to byc.
    Welcome, hope to hear more about your duck.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 4:28 AM
  3. joojoo.abraham

joojoo.abraham Hatching

Friday
    It's not so badly hurt. I tried touching all the foot and leg to see where it hurts but i got no reaction. But it's still limping when it walks and make some weird noise whenever someone gets close to it. And today it laid an egg without a shell. It really worries me that even i lost my appetite too.

4. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Awe.
    It will probably just need a few days of rest. Ducks can be clumsy and hurt their feet often.
    As far as the noise, she might just be letting you know she is hurt and telling you not to do that again.
    Got any pics of your duck?

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I think it's a coincidence that it hurt its foot. If it's laying soft shelled eggs or becomes egg bound it won't eat because it won't poop either. They also show signs of lameness if the sciatic nerve is pinched. Do you supply Oyster shell?..They need that for extra calcium. You can also use two Tums mixed into a small bowl of water.

6. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    chickens really likes this.
  7. joojoo.abraham

joojoo.abraham Hatching

Friday
    well, i did try feeding her some egg shells for the calcium but she refuses to eat. she's not limping a lot as she did yesterday and she's walking around but not running or trying to jump on high places.
    and about the noise both of my ducks do make noise when i run after them but the noise they make is a ducky voice now it's more like a chick voice. that's why it worries me

8. chickens really

Egg shell isn't enough calcium. Egg shell is depleted because it comes from the Birds own calcium in its bones.
    Do you mean like a hoot sound..?..Not a peep.

9. joojoo.abraham

joojoo.abraham Hatching

Friday
    i'll try giving them oyster shells. but i don't know where to get that. can i get only the shells from the super market or there are some i could buy that are especially for feeding birds?
    and the sound it makes it's more like a squeak

10. chickens really

Any feed lots will sell oyster shell and possibly it needs more water to dunk its head..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: