1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck was injured (PHOTOS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petitesphinx, Oct 28, 2008.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Hi, guys! Long time, no post!

So, my sweet little duck was attacked [​IMG] by a dog :thun 2 Sundays ago (See AMAZING photos--I am SOO sorry these are gruesome, but I had to share this wonderful miracle with my BYC friends!) and I've kept her in our bathtub "hospital" to heal. She was so bad, I honestly didn't think she'd make it throughout the evening; but each morning, I'd peek my head around the corner and see her there-looking up at me! Hubby thought she certainly was a goner and even he admits it must be a miracle. [​IMG]

Now, it's been a whole week and she's standing up, eating and chirping just as if nothing's happened. [​IMG] Her feathers, however, are a mess-and to look at her--just breaks my heart. [​IMG]

I sprayed Granulex on her wounds and gave her a bit of anti-biotics in her water last week to fight off any infection.

I clean out the tub each day, running water in it and filling it just enough to cover her legs. When she gets her feathers wet, though, the water does NOT just bead and run off of her like when she was outside. And her feathers seem to absorb the water and she feels almost greasy when I touch her. Is this because she's sick, not outside....or because I'm using tap water instead of her usual pond water to bathe her? Or am I just dumb and she needs a real bath? hehe

Also, her poo has become runny now.

Here they were as babies:

[​IMG]

And he/she's the big grey/white one on the right--digging in and so happy...

[​IMG]

Photos from the day I found her, October 19th:
    (I could only photograph her wing; was afraid to move her to photograph the chunk from her underside and from her leg missing. It tore me up just to look at the poor little thing.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo from October 21st:
    (Healing a little more.)

[​IMG]

Photo from today, October 28th:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've changed the little duck's name to Lazarus because we thought she was surely dead, but he rose again....

And she or he (don't know how to tell sex in ducks..hehe) wet. See how the water isn't beading-it's just soaking up in their feathers? Joselyn is here with Lazarus (hurt foot) and the same greasy feathers.....

[​IMG]

Any tips--Please, I would appreciate!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    About the feathers not beading up the water....

This is a guess from what I understand about birds...

They have an oil glan on their tail, and when they preen they spread it over their feathers and it makes them water resistant....

So I bet she's not preening much, being that she's injured....

Good Luck to her!

Dove

3. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Poor Lazarus. Don't have any help, but looks like you have done a great job in getting her/him well. It is amazing how they can heal. I love dogs but they can do major damage. We just lost 2 hens to a neighbors Pit. It is her 2nd offence. For her sake I hope the owners prevent that 3rd offence. Anyways, hoping Lazarus will be healed soon.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I hope your duck gets better!
    As far as sexing, the only way I know how is by the tail, and the sound. If it is a drake, it will eventually get curly feathers on top of its tail (drake feathers). Also, a drake makes a whispery sound, and a duck quacks! One of my pekins is so loud, the neighbors can hear her, a quarter mile away!!!

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I wouldn't hesitate to head to the farm store and get yourself a bottle of long acting penecillin. 1 cc in the thigh every other day would buy you a lot of insurance. Waterfowl are very resistant to infection, but dog bites are particularly insidious.

6. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Any suggestions on when I can let them out of my tub (I miss my tub!!) and maybe out in the chicken coop-or even outside back in the pond? It's cold here at night, around 30's I think and warmer during the day.

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    If I could swallow up some of that poor things pain I would! I am always amazed at an animal ability to tolerate pain and survive! You did a great job!
    Lots of good food now-dark green leafy greens and some protein.Can you get her worms? Oatmeal is good. Some outside time now as sun will help her heal.

8. chickmommar

chickmommar Chillin' With My Peeps

Your poor little sweetie. But you've done well for her. Since both of the ducks inside are not waterproof, I wonder if they've gotten the granulex or other oitments on their feathers and it took off their own oil. Do you know where the oil gland is? It's on the top, just before where the tail starts. You should see the ducks rubbing it with their bills and then using the bill to spread the oil around on the feathers. The bath water vs. pond water doesn't matter. YOu want to make sure there is no soap in the water as that will take off the oil they need, of course. When I've had injured ducks the vets say to keep them out of the water until the skin is healed and well granulated again. You could put the ducks out in a secure area of the barn or something - just make it as clean as you can and don't provide any water deep enough for the hurt duck to get her wounds wet until they are granulated. I would want to use an antibiotic to prevent infection. My vet would likely prescribe baytril and clavamox for such wounds.

These ducks are muscovies so the only way to determine gender is by size. The large ones are male and smaller ones are female (if they are all the same age) - the first clues are usually the legs and feet as the males have sturdier legs and bigger feet. Muscovies don't get the curl in the tail and they don't have voice differences of the sort that other ducks do. Your muscovies are gorgeous and they tend to be tamer than other ducks and so curious and personable. I'm so glad your duck is doing well. Guarding against infection is the next issue to watch for. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by