My duck was killed, I found some eggs in her nest.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leezolly, Jul 6, 2016.

1. leezolly

leezolly New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    A few weeks ago, one of my dogs killed my duck. Up to that point, I hadn't seen her lay any eggs. Today I was just going through the nest just to look in it and I found 5 eggs hidden under the hay. What do I do? They might be fertilized, I'm not sure. I know they have been kept warm because it is very hot outside. How do I know if they are going to hatch or not?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Sorry you lost your duck :hugs Unless it has been consistently 100 degrees out day and night the eggs won't have been warm enough to start developing. You can candle them (shine a bright flashlight through them) to check for embryos but the chances are very slim. Since it's been weeks since she died they also have probably lost viability, so even if you did get an incubator and put them in they likely wouldn't start to develop. You could certainly try though if you wanted.

3. leezolly

leezolly New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    I just shined a flashlight through them and 3 of them look like they have grown, I can see blood vessels and a big black lump. The other 2 I think haven't developed much at all. Should I just keep them in the nest for now until I can get an incubator? I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally hurt them (if they're alive)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh how sad

5. leezolly

leezolly New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    It was so sad [​IMG] our dog has never killed anything before. She was doing fine with our chickens and ducks for months then all the sudden she went on a rampage and killed them all while I was out one day. If these ducklings somehow live we will definitely have to put up a fence to keep them safe!

6. leezolly

leezolly New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    It definitely has been over 100 degrees everyday as I do live in the desert. I candled them and 3 of them seem to have grown. They look like they're in the final stages of development. The other 2 don't seem to be growing much at all, I think they are dead. I am just afraid to touch the eggs because I read somewhere that they aren't supposed to be rotated or anything the last few days before they hatch, I don't want to hurt them (if they are alive, even)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by