My duckies molting and I can her skin. Is that bad?

This happened with one of my Welshies late this winter. I started adding a handful of kitten food to their feed just to give her a little boost to get her feathers back in. At the time, I thought she might be getting picked on by her sisters, but I don’t know. We had a hard winter and their usual diet of insects, garden greens, and feed was down to just feed. So I added the dry kitten food and gave treats of peas and more veggie scraps.

My duck looks great, now.

Where is baldness. If its chest and sides they are not molting, they are thinning out in prep for sitting. They use feathers to insulate nest and spots must be thin so body can heat eggs for hatch and so they can wet skin for humidity because feathers are waterproof. Its time for waterfowl season. Mine start in Feb/mar pulling feathers and practice laying and may/june they finally decide to get down to business and sit. Ducks are terrible sitters. Will sit 14 days and abort because her friend is playing in pool and thats not fair. If you have a drake, he will be busy trying to force then to sit and will go ocd on nest packing. Ducks should be hired to ship all eggs. Lol my drake packs my goose eggs liken they were leaving for a trip around the world lol

Back
Top Bottom