my duckling broke his leg i think?.......help me

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 6mutts, Apr 9, 2009.

1. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    My little 3-4 week old blue runner has a leg injury. I puts no weight on its right leg and it just hangs there with no response to my touch. Can i splint, if so how do i do this? what should i do, i am dumbfounded here....thanks so much, this little one has been through alot, it lost its two friends about a week ago (got some new ones for it now) and we really bonded.....poor little thing [​IMG]

2. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Quote:Hi My best bet if your really care for it. i would bring it to the a vet. But before that leave it a couple of days and see how things progress

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Try water therapy. Use your bathtub or a tub large enough but shallow enough that it will not drown(it was not raised by mom will not have the oils to keep the feathers from taking on water). Not sure how old your duck is. But warmer water and let it swim for 10 minutes to help keep circulation in that leg. We had one that made a full recovery from a badly broken leg...I did have to split it at first(horse stepped on him). It is important to keep that circulation going and with the water therapy there should not be any weight bearing on it just muscle use. and movement of the leg. Just make sure not to leave your duck alone while doing this water therapy because if he/she acts tired then take the duck out early and just build up to longer periods.

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    It may not be broken. I had a duckling the same age do that last year. He would not put ANY weight on it. I confined hm to a small plastic bin with food and water in easy reach, carried him to the tub twice a day for a swim (but did not let him walk much). He was recovered in a week. They injure their legs very easily.

5. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    one of our ducks broke its leg and you could tell, the leg was sideways. The call ducks have hollow bones and our vet opened the leg and dropped a metal pin in the shaft (up and down in the hollow part of the leg) and then he splint it, but it will heal on its own with a splint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by