My duckling can’t walk without help

Heatherann

Hatching
Jun 21, 2018
my duck is about a week old, he can’t seem to walk or stand without help. He just flops over on his back and kicks his feet. He has been in the water alittle and he was doing fine but then loses balance and freaks. I’ve been feeding him chick starter food, and vitamin water. I’m not sure what is wrong with him all other 15 ducklings are doing just fine

Attachments

• 987BB0FE-AAB0-403F-AF92-AE485B7386E9.jpeg
    987BB0FE-AAB0-403F-AF92-AE485B7386E9.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to BYC! Can you go to a feed store and get some Purina Flock Raiser and feed them that? I suggest this because chick starter does not have enough niacin for ducklings, and this might be his problem.

If you can't get new food, you could try using liquid B complex, brewers yeast, or nutritional yeast.

If he is fine in the water and its a nutritional problem... over time it should be okay..... being in the water can be a kind if therapy for him ....of course this is just my opinion

Will this be something that might be fixable with time?
Casportpony will know better but yes niacin deficiency is fixable. Do get them all started asap on different feed and a supplement also to avoid the other babies having problems also.

Be careful with swimming, I'd think you want to supervise that carefully until she recovers.

Casportpony will know better but yes niacin deficiency is fixable. Do get them all started asap on different feed and a supplement also to avoid the other babies having problems also.

Be careful with swimming, I'd think you want to supervise that carefully until she recovers.

Oh yes I’m right there the whole time. He’s my baby.

If he is fine in the water and its a nutritional problem... over time it should be okay..... being in the water can be a kind if therapy for him ....of course this is just my opinion

He started off doing okay in the water, but now it’s like he does okAy for a minute and then he freaks out and goes backwards and forgets what he’s doing and how to do it. But walking and standing, he’s at a loss.

He started off doing okay in the water, but now it’s like he does okAy for a minute and then he freaks out and goes backwards and forgets what he’s doing and how to do it. But walking and standing, he’s at a loss.
You could try propping him up for a few hours. I had a call duckling that was always upside down and that fixed him. I put him in a cup.
Edit to add, this is no substitution for getting him the niacin asap, he really really needs that quick.

Back
Top Bottom