My duckling got bit

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kieranfitz, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Kieranfitz

Kieranfitz In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2019
    Can someone please tell me if my duckling is ok, a fox attacked our flock of chickens and ducks today and two of our 8 week old ducklings were with them and one was bit and it is lying down being very quiet and has stuff coming out of its nose it’s not blood.

quackiemama likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome sorry for the circumstances. Your duckling may very well have internal injuries. Only time will tell the tale. Keep it warm and quiet as it is most likely in shock at the present time.

3. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    I would keep your duckling warm and in a quiet and safe place and ensure that he has clean water deep enough for him to dip his bill enough to keep his nares clear. After our girls were attacked by a raccoon a few months ago, one had significant injuries to her bill that caused her nares to become encrusted. Having the water to clear them out helped—especially while she had only one nostril open.

If you have an avian vet available, consider taking your duck. Our vet gave our injured ducks antibiotics and, for our most seriously injured, a steroid shot to help her replace red blood cells. I kept my girls in our bathtub, lined with layers of newspaper that I added to as the previous layer got wet with poop and water. That way, I didn’t have to disrupt them and traumatize them any more than necessary by taking them out for cleanup during those first days when recovery was uncertain. My girls were together in the tub at first, but when the less injured started picking on the most injured, I put a barrier across the middle of the tub to protect while keeping them together.

If you can, have another duck with your injured one, or at least within sight and hearing, since isolating a flock animal can be traumatic and this is a time to recover from the trauma of being attacked. It was winter here when my ducks were attacked, so staying outside wasn’t a good option for them in their injured condition. If you can keep your duck safe and in familiar surroundings, I would think that would be less traumatic.

I would seek and follow my vet’s advice first if a vet is an option.

sumi, Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  4. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Duckworth, Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is the duckling today ?

sumi, Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  6. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I am hoping for some good news for your duckling

Texag87 and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

quackiemama likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

:goodpost:

quackiemama likes this.
  9. Kieranfitz

Jun 10, 2019
    She’s fine but her wing and leg are drooping to the side but she still seems to eat and drink properly

DuckyDonna likes this.
  10. Kieranfitz

Jun 10, 2019
    Alright thanks I’ll do my best

DuckyDonna, Duckworth and quackiemama like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: