My Duckling hurt its leg, What do I do? :_:

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SilverFlame, Jan 17, 2015.

1. SilverFlame

SilverFlame New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    Hi, I'm new to this whole owning a Duck thing. Ducks are one of my favoirt animals and I always joked about wanting a duck. This Christmas i randomly got a duckling, I'm not too sure of age i estimate he (maybe she idk new to this) around 5 or 6 weeks now. I wasnt prepared but I'm trying my best. Today after i took Oswald (ducky) out for a swim he will always follow me towards my house. He always stood at the bottom of the steps and stared but today he decided to follow me, he was able to get up the steps but stumbled and fell down two of them. He seemed fine but then I noticed the limping and then he just sat down. I'm worried he hurt himself. I put him in the water and he swims but doesnt move his left leg but instead tucks it in, He did manage to move it a little while he swam but not alot. My Grandma (she grew up around ducks) Said its not broken and most likely just sprain. I have him inside now On a blankie next to some food and water. He does try to stand up and manages but stumbles back down after a few steps. I was told it should heal by itself but I'm still worried....anything I can do to help him out?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, quite a bit. Glad you care so much!

I would wrap the leg for 15 minutes or more in a compress with Epsom salt solution. Add a couple tablespoons Epsom salt to half a cup of warm water, soak a clean cloth in it, wring it out till it barely drips, then wrap leg and foot and hold...

Don't let the little drink the E.s. water, it is a laxative.

Some folks put the E.s. water in a flat-bottomed bowl and stand the duck in the bowl - again, no drinking!

Time in the tub - lukewarm, maybe 70F, is good - do not leave the duckling alone for a moment in the tub. They can get themselves in trouble until they are mature and fully feathered.

Vitamins - good nutrition - add brewer's yeast (not baking yeast) - one tablespoon per day to food. It supplies extra B vitamins. Poultry vitamins are a wider spectrum, and adding that to the water once a week is a good idea, too.

You are right to watch closely and let the little rest. No more stairs for a while.

3. Lotta3

Lotta3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    that sounds good advice. ducks are remarkably resilient and with a bit care and good food he'll soon be right as rain I'm sure.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Forgive my lack of manners. Welcome to the BYC Duck Forum!

[​IMG]

5. SilverFlame

SilverFlame New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    Thanks for the advice, >_< I'll look into the salt thing, see if any nearby store sells some, He started walking today, limping but still walking. He's struggleing but he's a little fighter. He's useing it much more in the water nows and plays around as well. He Occasionally struggles and sits back down but usually gets back up in bit >_< I'm gonna keep watching him if he doesn't get any better, I was told of a exotic pet vet nearby. Hopefully they'll accept him. And thanks for the welcomes :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by