My duckling is always hungry!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RainsFall, May 17, 2019.

1. RainsFall

RainsFall In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    Hello everyone first of all I'm apologize for my bad english

I have a 3 weeks old orphan duckling
    hes always hungry i giving him hard boiled egg and Gurke(
    cucumber) and a clean water source with liquid multi vitamin but hes always shouts for food even in middle of the night!!! hes eat nothing but gurke or hard boiled egg i tried to give him carrot or rice but not working!
    he's getting bigger and his legs grow up and his feathers begin to pour out and whiten

it's normal? is it because of puberty?

DuckyDonna and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Ducklings eat A LOT and it is good to provided them an unlimited amount of food while they are still growing.

3. RainsFall

RainsFall In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    Thanks
    Does the cucumber provide hes energy? he only eat cucumber slices :(

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  4. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    I suspect he may not be getting all the nutrition he needs. Do you have access to a feed store where you can purchase some sort of complete poultry feed? If not you can look up recipes online for homemade duckling feed and they will give you a good idea of different types of things that would be good for him to eat.

5. RainsFall

RainsFall In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    Yes i can, but he refuse to eat anything but cucumber or hard boiled egg!! i can't understand why

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  6. You need meat bird feed. It has added supplements like niacin that ducks need.

DuckyDonna and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  7. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Maybe try giving him some duck feed all mashed in with an egg or trying giving him some wet mushy duck feed.

MROO, SueZoo, DuckyDonna and 2 others like this.
  8. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Or you could make a mush out of the feed. Add the egg or wet cat food. He is likely always hungry because he isn’t getting everything he needs due to being a bit picky. What kind of duck is it? Some breeds of duck prefer more meat based foods wood ducks come to mind from a post from last year with a person with similar problems.

9. RainsFall

RainsFall In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    I think he's Pekin

[​IMG]

This time i mixed 1 egg and 2 braised carrot a and 1 cucumber. hopefully he accepted and ate all of it
    he looks so much better now and it's almost 2 hours that he did not scream for food
    I can feed him cocked Chicken meat? too much protein is not harmful for duckling??

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    DuckyDonna likes this.
  10. PaulX

PaulX Songster

Nov 15, 2018
    Probably not normal. Ducklings are supposed to be small and yellow. If he grows and whitens you can't call him a duckling anymore. :plbb

quackiemama and WannaBeHillBilly like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: