1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Duckling loves his brother's adult duck food. Is that OK?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2Badassducks, Jun 14, 2016.

1. 2Badassducks

2Badassducks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    I have a 5 week old Buff, who has discovered his brothers Mazuri Waterfowl food and loves it! He eats his chick starter at night, or any time he is in his play pen ( I have house ducks) but once he is out for the day, he bee lines for the adult food. At what point can he just have adult food? Also, when can I stop with the 'round the clock feeding? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    About 10 weeks old is the recommended time to switch off of starter... I don't really see too much of an issue with him eating some already though... you said chick starter, does he get niacin supplements too? Either brewers yeast mixed in the starter or Vitamin B complex tablets crushed and dissolved into water? Chick starter generally doesn't contain enough niacin for ducklings, and although the protein in the Mazuri is a bit lower (Maintenance type, right?), it is better than chick starter for him, in my opinion... if you can increase his protein by supplementing some extra mealworms, earthworms, crickets, or anything similar, then I don't see the harm in letting him eat the Mazuri...

3. 2Badassducks

2Badassducks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks for the reply!
    I add brewers yeast to his chick starter, plus peas for a snack in the morning and afternoon. He does try and forage when we are all outside, but I don't consider that to be anything right now. I will go get him some meal worms today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by